1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the ranger sxt legally available to the public, or only for law enforcement use? This stuff looks like it could stop a rhino. Is it safe to say this is better than hydra shok?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by bucksnuffer:
Is the ranger sxt legally available to the public, or only for law enforcement use? This stuff looks like it could stop a rhino. Is it safe to say this is better than hydra shok?
AFAIK, it is for law enforcement only.
If you manage to get some, and have to use it, it may not go so good for you in court when/if you have to justify your choice of
ammo to a jury or Grand Jury.
And yes, this stuff is great and better than
Hydra-Shok.
As I have posted elsewhere, check out this
URL of a series of test firing of various .45acp rounds into gelatin. http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1636&forum=24&31

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It's sad that one has to consider what a prosecutor and jury might think about the choices you make in preparing to protect yourself and/or your loved ones. But these days, I guess you do.

If you decide that you really need to be as well-prepared for court as possible, buy factory ammunition that says "personal protection" on the box. Then you didn't buy "man-killer" bullets; you bought a product based on the advice of a major corporation that is in the ammunition business.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
If it is a righteous shoot, I don't think it matters what you use. I will use the best (most lethal) round I can. If it is not a righteous shoot, you are in trouble even if you used a round with less lethality.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The LE only thing is a company policy not a law. You can purchase and own those without legal issues, however, many sellers won't sell it because of the manufacturer's policy. As to whether it's better than hydra-shok, any improvement is nullified by the fact that we are talking about handgun rounds. The best round is the one that is the most reliable and accurate in your gun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Mute:
The LE only thing is a company policy not a law. You can purchase and own those without legal issues, however, many sellers won't sell it because of the manufacturer's policy. As to whether it's better than hydra-shok, any improvement is nullified by the fact that we are talking about handgun rounds. The best round is the one that is the most reliable and accurate in your gun.
Shot placement is going to matter more than whether you carry a 9mm, .40SW, .45acp, or any of the other personal defense rounds out there. My conclusion that Talon is better than Hydra-Shok is based on test firings I have seen with both rounds. And the opinion of those shooters who have done the testing.
But whatever a person chooses to shoot, like you say, what matters most is being able to hit where you aim.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Do your own tsting with your carry piece. Otherwise the info don't mean spit for you...It's just a good place to start lookin',....

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by Mute:
The LE only thing is a company policy not a law. You can purchase and own those without legal issues, however, many sellers won't sell it because of the manufacturer's policy.
OK, what about the Ranger T-Series ammo?
Same situation as with the Ranger SXT?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The LE branded ammo is legal for non LE's to use, and no one will spank you if the shoot is righteous, as Billd mentioned...

Also, The laws vary from state to state, but AP ammo is not illegal in most. Tracers kinda fall into the same category, some states don't allow them, some do.

The LE classification on Ammo is kinda like having ISO 9000 certification for ammo that the Police Admins can point to and say, "See, we issue reliable ammo", not Uncle Bob's quality reloads.

While HydraShok's still hold an interest for me, and maintain a high statisical history in real shootings, I personally feel that the Gold Dot's are the best, consistently expanding ammo available. The +P Ranger is also very good, but the standard Ranger is no better or different than the SXT's. Also, there seems to be many flavors of HydraShok's, not all are the same. The nice part about the Federal's, they shoot to the same point of aim as the American Eagles for me.

While I currently use HydraShok's, I will be moving to the Black Hill's version of the Gold Dot's, they have proven very good in testing, and are reasonably priced.

Regardless of whatyou use, ensure that your weapon functions with the chosen type, run at least 100-200 rounds through it before you put you life behind it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts