1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some Ranier plated .45ACP 185gr hollow points. I plan on using HP38 powder, but I also have Bullseye. Is anyone else using this combination? What is a good OAL? What is a good starting load for each powder? I was recommended to use 5.0gr of Bullseye or 5.4gr of HP38. I do not want a +P load, just something with reasonable recoil and good accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Josh,

Have you checked your manuals? Or the powder mfg's websites? What do they recommend? Of course, they won't have any data for plated bullets, but at the starting load levels (at least) you'll be OK using either jacketed or lead bullet data, for the same weight bullet (185gr).

I don't use HP-38, so I have no opinion about that, but I have used quite a bit of Bullseye. Years ago, when I used to shoot Bullseye (the NRA match), the std. load was 3.5-3. 6gr Bullseye with a 185gr LSWC. That load might be a good starting point. It will cycle your pistol with a 16# spring, is low recoil, and is very accurate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and loaded 5 rounds with 4.8 grains of Bullseye at a OAL of 1.23. I couldnt find a recommended OAL for these bullets, so I went with the general specs that I found in my lee reloading manual.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Josh,

Have you checked your manuals? Or the powder mfg's websites? What do they recommend? Of course, they won't have any data for plated bullets, but at the starting load levels (at least) you'll be OK using either jacketed or lead bullet data, for the same weight bullet (185gr).

I don't use HP-38, so I have no opinion about that, but I have used quite a bit of Bullseye. Years ago, when I used to shoot Bullseye (the NRA match), the std. load was 3.5-3. 6gr Bullseye with a 185gr LSWC. That load might be a good starting point. It will cycle your pistol with a 16# spring, is low recoil, and is very accurate.
HI

Use the lead loads, Rainiers aren't jacketed, they're washed in copper. Big difference. I use 4.0 grains of Titegroup under the 200 grain rainiers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
In my Glock 36, .45 auto with 3.8" barrel, I have found the most accurate Bullseye load to be 5.3/5.4 grains with Berry's 185 plated TC (~1.20"), Zero 185 JHP (~1.225") or 200 RN plated Xtreme (~1.235"). The COAL is only approximate as I have not found it to significantly affect accuracy at the 7 yards I shoot from.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Anyone figure out why they list 1.275" as the COAL for the 185 in that downloaded load data? Seems way too long to me.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone figure out why they list 1.275" as the COAL for the 185 in that downloaded load data? Seems way too long to me.

John
I have seen that in other lists also. I do not think any 185s I have would provide enough neck tension at 1.275; sitting on top of the neck maybe?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen that in other lists also. I do not think any 185s I have would provide enough neck tension at 1.275; sitting on top of the neck maybe?
I dropped a few in my chamber and had to end up using a OAL of 1.210 to get them to work. After asking around, some shooters have to go as short as 1.190.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts