1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a used LNIB RZ and am wanting to have an ambi safety installed since I am a southpaw. A couple of questions that hopefully the DW rep or other knowledgeable folks can answer:

1. Will a standard ambi safety work in this gun? Is the frame size the same as a .45? I like the Wilson tactical ambi safeties and would like one of these installed.

2. Will DW switch out the standard grips for a set that are cut to accomodate an ambi safety? If not, is it possible to shave off some of the inside of the right-side grip w/o breaking it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
1. Yes, it is a std. set-up.
2. Yes, you can remove some wood from the back-side of the right grip panel for the safety extension. Gently rest the grip panel atop the mounted safety lever, and sweep the safety on and off while applying gentle pressure on the grip. This should scrape an imprint on the inside of the grip so you can tell where to remove material. Do DOT remove any more depth than is necessary, however, or the safety could loosen with use. HTH.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a set of ambi grips on my Kimber Compact. Can I just use these as a template to figure out where to remove material, and then just remove to the same depth?

·
Registered
246 Posts
rock_jock said:
I have a set of ambi grips on my Kimber Compact. Can I just use these as a template to figure out where to remove material, and then just remove to the same depth?
You could, but dpcdivr's method will provide a custom fit. Why use a template when your new safety can mark exactly where to remove material?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Rock Jock
dpcdivr is the one who performed the work on your pistol. Have you fired it yet? This is the place to get some answers to your questions. There are some very knowledgable people here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yote,

No, I never managed to make it our to the range last weekend. I will use the method he described though.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Hey, rock_jock!
Don't know that I've met you, but if you know ole' 'yote, you can't be all bad. :) Regarding your "new" RZ, if it proves to be the most accurate and reliable 1911 you own, then I'll expect something really nice at Christmas. If it turns out to be a clunker, then..."I know nuthink"... ;) Enjoy, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never met yote. We did a trade over at THR. I live in Texas. The trade went real well and so far, in just handling the gun and dry firing, I am very impressed.

·
Registered
844 Posts
rock_jock, Glad you like your RZ. Any 1911 compatable Ambi will work. Have safe fun with her.

Thanks,
Bob
DWF
:) :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I brought it out for the first time tonight. I didn't check accuracy, only functionality. 20 rounds each of CCI and Winchester Silvertips w/o a hiccup. The gun felt very nice in my hand. Trigger was nice, but needs a little tweaking. I would guess it is around 5-6 lbs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As an update, my dealer installed an Ed Brown Tactical ambi safety today. It in fact was NOT a drop in and required quite a bit of machining to fit correctly.

·
Registered
246 Posts
rock_jock said:
As an update, my dealer installed an Ed Brown Tactical ambi safety today. It in fact was NOT a drop in and required quite a bit of machining to fit correctly.
Did anybody say it WAS a drop-in part?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts