1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in buying a Razorback for black bear protection. I notice that the prices for a NIB Razerback are almost as much as Dan Wesson's flagship gun the Valor. I know that the Razorback & Valor are made in different calibers but what else is different about them. Is the fit & finish better on the Valor, are the parts better quality on the Valor, etc.? I guess I'm really asking what is the difference in quality between the two.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Finish in the mag well area, better sights, barrel bushing, mag release (checkered on the valors, serrated RZ), 25 lpi vs 20 lpi MSH. I have both and would gladly pay the extra cash for the differences the valor offers. The RZ is the only way to get the 10 from Dan Wesson though and it's a very nice gun just not a valor.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dvusgny, Do you know if there are any MIM parts in either?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
No mim in either.

Correct. No checkering on the RZ and 25 lpi on the Valor.

My RZ has been bead blasted so it's not the original finish. The RZ is an absolute blast to shoot! Get one, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to get one but because they are difficult to find they are commanding a premium price. If I don't find one for a fair price, I'll look into getting a Glock with an aftermarket barrel.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd like to get one but because they are difficult to find they are commanding a premium price. If I don't find one for a fair price, I'll look into getting a Glock with an aftermarket barrel.
What's wrong with the Glock factory barrel?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Glock barrels are not real good with lead and in the 40/10mm caliber the chamber support although better than before could be better. One of the things that attract me to the Razorback is that ramped barrel for hot loads.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Get the glock now then give Dave a call at Severns Custom and see if you can put a deposit on a pre order for next years model. The wait kind of stinks but I'd rather wait then pay over msrp for one. That's where I got mine. He did the bead blast too if you like that.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Glock barrels are not real good with lead and in the 40/10mm caliber the chamber support although better than before could be better. One of the things that attract me to the Razorback is that ramped barrel for hot loads.
Old wives tale about lead in Glock barrels due to reloading and lawyers. The polygonal rifling in Glock, H&k and few other high end Euro guns was actually designed for lead use in 22 rim-fire rifles and was later intro into center fire rifles and pistols. They don't lead up as fast and bad as standard rifling, and gave better accuracy and longer periods of shooting before barrel cleaning in comp guns. Remember the Glock like any pistol when shooting lead ammo should be thoroughly cleaned of any lead build up after 300 to 500 rounds before switching back to jacketed ammo depending on powder used and amount and bindle/hardness of lead. I've seen several S&W barrels ruined because this rule was not followed, with regular rifling it can happen lot quicker then with polygonal like in Glock.

Dvusgny
Finish in the mag well area, better sights, barrel bushing, mag release (checkered on the valors, serrated RZ), 25 lpi vs 20 lpi MSH. I have both and would gladly pay the extra cash for the differences the valor offers. The RZ is the only way to get the 10 from Dan Wesson though and it's a very nice gun just not a valor.
Say what??? One of two I have that are twins except one is 10mm and other 38 Super. I think this is 38 Super, only difference is a year apart in production and the 38 Super came with front night sight and both are 100% reliable so far and very accurate.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I've been wondering this as well. Between the Heritage and the Valor, you are saying the Valor really is finished to better quality? I know both use forged frames, but it appeared to me the only difference was sights, somewhat different finish, the rib, and the lack of front strap checkering.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've been wondering this as well. Between the Heritage and the Valor, you are saying the Valor really is finished to better quality? I know both use forged frames, but it appeared to me the only difference was sights, somewhat different finish, the rib, and the lack of front strap checkering.
After I got my Valor last year I got a Heritage. It was a great gun! I did notice in the area of the mag opening the Valor was cleaner and opened up slightly more, the mag release is checkered on the Valor and serrated on the Heritage, the MSH is 25 lpi on the Valor and fitted a little better and of course the the thicker barrel bushing on the Valor. I ended up trading my Heritage (and$$) for a Vbob. Then I got a RZ-10. If I could have ordered a Valor in a 10mm I would have gladly paid the extra cash for it! Both are made with mostly the same quality parts and there's not I bit of difference in performance however I like the checkering, sight and better finish. I can't imagine you regretting it if you get the Valor.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you had one blow up in your hand I bet you think a little differently. ;)
Ah the ill informed and panic stricken herd mentality strikes again. :rolleyes:

After thousands of rounds and proper cleaning never had one pop. Had a Colt blow out a barrel on jacketed from hot factory load once, it had never fired a lead round. My G-20 regularly fired 170gr HC L/SWC always in the 1100fps to 1350fps range, bet that gun never fired more then 1 box of jacketed ammo.

I will say that I think the Glock is the most abused handgun by the reloading crowd, that includes myself, that has been sold in the last 20 years or more. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts