1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hornady L-N-L press. Since most of the dies I had before getting were RCBS, that's what I use. But any new dies I buy will be Hornady.

Here's the problem:

The RCBS work okay, but when trying to put a really firm crimp on a lead revolver bullet, I can't seem to screw the RCBS dies far enough into the press to get a "great" crimp. I think for this reason, I have never realized spectacular accuracy with any lead revolver bullet loaded by my press. On the other hand, JHP's have much more shallow cannelures which I am able to crimp enough, and they work just fine.

Bottowm line - Is there any way I can alter my RCBS dies to work correctly? I can't afford to switch ALL my dies to Hornady dies. Maybe a thinner locking ring for the die, letting me screw it down further?

[This message has been edited by Whispering Smith (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have never seen a Hornady Press so this may be a stupid reply -
I had a similiar problem with RCBS seating dies on my Dillon 650. I simply put the lock ring under the tool holder rather than on top. Does the Hornady have room for this?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Houston1944, no can do on a Hornady LNL. The bushing set up precludes that option.

How about just getting a Hornady crimp die? That's what I use in my LNL AP. Cost is only $9.50 from Lock, Stock, and Barrel Shooting Supply, 800-228-7925.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

1 - 4 of 4 Posts