1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I have a Pro Carry HD II and I love it....It is now my daily carry...No problems after 200 rds.:) I am looking for something slightly smaller for the car. Any of you carry the RCPII? Please let me know how it shoots and how you carry it as a Conceal Weapon. Thanks.

Regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't have mine yet as I just ordered it a few weeks ago but don't wait too long if you want one. I was told by Kimber that the current run of 500 RCP II's, which is on backorder, will be the last ones made. I'm not sure if this is true or not but I didn't want to take the chance so I went ahead and ordered it. I did have a chance to hold one a while back and found it comfortable. The lack of sights takes some getting used to looking at it but I'm getting mine for off duty/plainclothes use and it is what it is.

I'm surprised that they are not making anymore because it seems to be becoming more popular. I even noticed a small Colt series 90 without sights at my local gunshop last week that appeared to be made to compete with the RCP II.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I've always been a bit confused about the bobbed hammer on a 1911. If you carry condition 1 as intended, the hammer is cocked and just as likely to snag IMO. You can't carry in condition 2, since there is no way to cock the hammer without racking the slide....and ejecting the round.

I guess it works for condition 3 with an Israeli presentation but other than that, I can't see the logic in the bobbed hammer.

Does anyone on the forum carry an RCP? Do you see a value in the bobbed hammer?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Carrying with a bobbed hammer

I have a Springfield Ultra Compact Mil-Spec on which I bobbed both the hammer and grip safety. I bobbed the safety to be flush with the tangs and bobbed the hammer just enough to remove all the serrations. I bobbed the grip safety even with the tangs. I found it to be extremely comfortable.

I took my full size mil-spec and bobbed the grip safety the same way. I left the hammer with the full spur on and carried it it a couple days. As a side note, I never experienced any hammer bite when shooting but I always felt the hammer digging into me when I carried. I'm not big by any means, 6' and 190, but I could still feel that spur in my side.

I've never carried or even handled an RCP but to me at least, the spurless hammer is more comfortable to carry.

Condition 1, by the way.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I carry a RCP II, but do so either in a pocket holster (DeSantis Nemesis) or in a "Tommy's Gun Pack" when I ride my Harley Touring bike.

I had a couple of early FTF and FTE with the RCP II but resolved that quickly with a Wilson Bulletproof extractor. No FTF's or FTE's since. I have about 700 rounds through it, 400 since the extractor was changed.

I also own an Ultra Carry II which is at Tussey Custom having the "trough sight" job (http://www.tusseycustom.com/articlekimbercompacts.htm) and having the butt rounded.

I also do not see the need for the extreme bobbed hammer on the RCP II. It does streamline the pistol, but I do not know if it really increases the "presentability" of the pistol when carried concealed, and in condition 1. When I carry in my pocket, it is not the hammer that is the problem, it is the grip that still tends to stick out unless I have good deep pockets.

I like the hammer on the Ultra II, and thought about having one fitted to the RCP II, but probably will not.

I like both the RCP II and the Ultra Carry II.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rcp II

I've been carrying my RCP daily for exactly a year now. For the time being, it rides very comfortably in a Galco OWB holster @ 4 o'clock. If I can ever lose about 25 pounds :grumble: , it'll be riding in the new VMII IWB holster I have for it. The bobbed hammer is absolutely great; for one, it takes away the temptation to thumb cock or to lower the hammer on a live round :eek: Something I can't abide. Secondly, it just looks :cool: cool. The bobbed hammer looks less menacing and blends-in so as to be almost invisible to the casual observer; and yes, there is less junk to get hung up on.

Like dr.fireant, " I had a couple of early FTF and FTE with the RCP II but resolved that quickly with a Wilson Bulletproof extractor. No FTF's or FTE's since. I have about 700 rounds through it, 400 since the extractor was changed." I had almost the exact story and my round counts are pretty much the same after the same "Fix".

The trough sighting system takes a little getting used-to but after a few Mags., it's great. The RCP II isn't meant to be a match pistol but it does what its designed to do very well :rock: and Adam's Apple size groups are the norm at 10 - 15 yards. It's very common for me to forget that I'm even carrying and has almost led to some embarassing moments.

Regards,
Tbolt

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have several hundred rounds through mine without a problem. The sights (or lack of) has not been a problem for me and I thought the hammer would be a problem but I got used to it pretty quick.

This is the second run of 500 for the RCP. The first run was back around 2002 and this run started over a year ago. Mine was on order over 8 months before I finally got it. Kimber kept telling my local dealer that they were having problems getting small part from third party suppliers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my RCP II...

I've had mine for about three months now and I love it. I had a couple of problems with the slide stop locking open with hollow point rounds right at first but I just put two hundred rounds through it yesterday (100 230gr. FMJ and 100 230gr. JHP) with not one problem. I have about 400 rounds through it without any feed or fire problems. I did but new mags for it (Wilson). I carry it in a galco holster and it is very comfortable. Buy one, they're great.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the inputs, I really like the idea of a bobbed hammer.

Best regards,
Joseph

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I don't have one, but I've been admiring that gun. The Mrs just won't free the funds for me to get another gun. She said something about wanting to save so we can have kids. I guess she doesn't see that my guns are my babies. :rolleyes: :) Is it possible to just buy the safety and hammer that's on the RCP II? If so, I might look into doing that for my SA Lightweight Champion Operator. It would be a lot more comfortable not having that safety dig into my side.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's here....

My local gun shop called me earlier this week to let me know that my RCP II has come in. Not sure when I'm going to get to the range with the great NE weather we're having but when I do I'll post some feedback. Judging from from everyones earlier posts I don't think I'll be disappointed.

·
Registered
531 Posts
joszx, sounds like you have a nice pistol; I didn't even know Kimber made. LOL
Whanted to just throw out a little flag for you; I was concerned about you statement that it was you carry gun with only 200 rounds through it. That is not a lot of use to stake you life on. This may be you only pistol, but I sure would suggest you get that number closer to 1000 or at least 500 before you make it youir number 1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts