1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looking at the pictures on the other thread, there is 0 [zero] collector value for the gun as other than a curiosity. If you want to spend fairly big bucks it can be restored by Turnbull. This will cost the most and make the have the highest value. This includes repairing the damaged markings that were partially buffed away.
It will be better as a display gun than a shooter since the steel used in 1913 is not of the quality as post WWII and particularly post 1980.

But if you just have it refinished, it will have no special collector value and only be a pretty beater. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
The shooter in me says leave it alone, as does the Historian in me. A pre WWI Colt will have much more value if it is un-restored. Restoring it will cost, and there is no way you will ever recoup that expense. If you do decide to restore it, Turnbull is the only way to go.

Robert

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
And for turnbulls prices you could buy a correct remington rand pretty much. I would say leave it as is. Shooting them is a BAD idea, as they are prone to cracking, and once cracked it is now a paperweight. Keep a light coat of oil on it, and admire.

·
Registered
895 Posts
And for turnbulls prices you could buy a correct remington rand pretty much. I would say leave it as is. Shooting them is a BAD idea, as they are prone to cracking, and once cracked it is now a paperweight. Keep a light coat of oil on it, and admire.
I agree. With the market being saturated with very reasonably priced 1911's and even more manufacturers being added to the list, why risk destroying it as a shooter? If you're going to have it restored put it on the mantle and shoot the bejesus out of a Rock Island or something like that.

·
Banned
2,944 Posts
Plus assuming that it is all correct, it is better to have 0% finish on a gun then a refinish. Remember, originality is key on the old guns. Someone may pay $700 for your pistol, you refinish it, it is now a $550 pistol plus the cost of refinishing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts