1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Express Sights

I have a compact CDP which I use with my CCW. After having to replace the meprolights soon after I received the gun a couple years ago, swapped them for some tritium AO express big-dot sights. These are an express-style sights with a big front dot and a V-notch rear. There is a vertical bar at the bottom of the v-notch.

I like the sights very much as they're very quick to acquire which is in-line with the pistol's role. But, the trade-off is that they are pretty course for precision work. The best that I can do is to keep them all on a paper plate at 25 yards. I like to think that it's not completely me since I can normally keep all of my shots in about 2.5" with my S&W 629 classic at the same distance with hunting loads and the better stock sights. Does anyone else have similar experiences?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yep. Had a set on a 5" Stainless. Great in close, challenging at distance. Still, depends on your mission. Mine was a duty gun, so they were just fine for my purposes. Wouldn't be my choice for a target weapon.

·
Registered
47 Posts
sights that offer quick follow up are good for defensive/cqb shooting. ie- front sight on target easy acquisition. if you want accuaracy at distance(ie a target gun), then get adjustables.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Had the same issue with mine. I took an advanced pistol 2 class and found their shortcoming when I was presented with a hostage target. I suddenly realized the AO big dot sights weren't made for quick surgical shots.

After 2 failed attempts (hit the hostage) within the time limit I reached into my range bag and pulled out my Pro-Carry with Novak night sights and put away my Custom with the AO sights. It took me a while to get used to them again, but I never went back to the AO sights. If I ever had to make a quick, life or death shot to save one of my children who was being taken hostage I would never dream of making the shot with the AO sights.

Now I rely on instinctive shooting for close work, and sights for intermediate to long range work. I can acquire a target just as fast in close, and put them where they count out farther.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Northern,

I'm curious about what distance you were shooting the "hostage situation"? I just put XS Sight Systems 24/7s on a Custom Stainless and in checking the zero and POI I made half a dozen head shots at 7-10 yards.

·
Registered
140 Posts
10 yds. Requirements were from the draw 2.5 seconds for a single head shot with 1/2 the head exposed. Both times I tried it with the AO sights I just missed by a 1/2 inch, but either way I hit the hostage. I also realize that in real life the target would be moving at the same time.

I was able to use the AO sights with some degree of accuracy, but not quickly.

That said, the world doesn't revolve around me in any way, so if they work for you GREAT!!!. They just have limitations I'm not willing to live with if THAT situation ever arrises.

I do have a set (of AO sights) on a S&W 38. It's not much good for fast work outside of 10-15 yards anyway and they fit the bill quite nicely for that gun. I wouldn't try that kind of shot with a 2" gun anyway. But that's just me (my limits)!

Train hard, Train often, and BE safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts