1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent a fully functional but rusty Springfield in for one of these fancy new teflon/poly finishes. The gun now looks great but won't work. Even after two hundred rounds. It will not lock the slide open on an empty mag. It will not feed the first round from the mag. Jeez. First, the slide lock is binding or draging and won't go fully up enough to engage the cut out. I've tried replacing the pin, and the little spring, gently bufing the slide lock where it engages the pin, etc, etc. Both detent pins don't seem to be binding in the tube. As far as failure to feed...I checked the extractor thinking somehow the tension changed. Looks the same. The mags are all the same, nearly new Wilsons that worked just fine early. Ditto for the ammo...no change. Man, I should have lived with the rust! Except that it was pretty bad and even in some of the internals. Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I suppose it's possible that the refinish job coated the slide rails, yes? You now have an ever-so-slightly tighter fit, and if you have an old/worn recoil spring, it might not be strong enough for normal function. I can't see how the extractor would have changed.

Did they coat the breach-face? Polish it if they did.

------------------

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim: I e-mailed you. Arrowman: Yeah, the entire pistol: rails, breech face, etc, etc was coated. I had thought about the breech too. Looks nice, but also looks "sticky" so off it comes. I'm tweaking with the extractor now and test fire later this week. I have 18.5lb recoil spring in this puppy so weak spring isn't a factor. Sheesh, this wasn't a cheap deal and now all this stuff. Maybe hard chrome would've been the way to go. Oh well....

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
NWGUNMAN: I have 39 handguns that have either been metaloyed or had Wilsons Armor-Tuff finish applied and I've never had a problem. However, a while back I sent in an Essex Arms 1911A1 to have a black polymer coating put on it and I had EXACTLY the same problems as you did. I had the gun inspected by a well known 1911 master gunsmith and he told me that the coating had been applied too thickly. You may want to contact the company that applied your coating and check for that possability. I had them strip the coating off and just hard chrome it, and to this day, after 5k plus rounds, it has yet to have any sort of malfunction. I've recently sent it in to Wilson Combat to have it inspected and any weak parts replaced with their bullet proof parts and an armor-tuff finish applied.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Unless you're using hardball loads, that 18.5 recoil spring is too heavy. It won't let the slide come far enough back to allow the slide stop lever to get up and lock it..that is, if your slide stop is working right. Can you lock the slide back manually, with no magazine in the pistol? If you can, it's probably that 18.5 spring. If not, it's the slide stop itself.
On the failure to feed: You said the new finish was teflon. That means the bolt face should be plenty slick to allow the base of the case to slide up into position. If the coating has built-up on the bolt face wall just opposite the extractor side, it could be impeding the case from rising...causing the round to jam between the bolt face and the chamber. There are other causes too, of course, but not knowing what the pistol does when it jams makes it really difficult to diagnose.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob Brown: I fixed the failure to lock the slide back problem by switching out the slide stop. I think the coating build up somehow changed the clearances just enough to cause this problem. I could bring the slide back by hand with an empty mag in the gun and slowly let it forward but the stop wouldn't engage. You could see it actually hesitate as the follower engaged the stop pad. New one works fine. The 18.5lb recoil spring functions fine, ejected cases fly about 5-6ft out and land in pretty much one spot. I'm shooting 185gr jhps at about 1000fps. The failure to feed the first round problem still continues. As it only happens with the first round from slide lock, I'm thinking it's a mag/ammo/frame incompatibility, altho even 230gr factory ball ammo seems to hang up as well. I've got an JP Ent. mag catch on the way to see if keeping those mags higher in line with the ramp will help. Thanks for your input. How's things down there in east San Diego County? Is the ol' SD Fish & Game range still open? Stay safe.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy you got the lockback problem whipped so easily. Now to get that first round to feed right. I'm not so sure a change in mag height will solve the problem though. You'll have to be careful of the mag rear lip and top round touching the underside of the ejector, if it's an extended one.
Have you checked to see how the rounds, first and second and third, feed from the mag? If you remove the recoil spring so you can slow-feed the rounds, the base of the case should pop up inside the extractor notch, slide up the bolt face and align with the chamber as the slide moves forward. If the case pops up in front of the extractor hook, it's a late release and you'll have to move the mag lips back a bit until it pops up at the right time. This release point is critical and if it isn't right, the round will jam between the bolt face and top of the chamber.
It's worth a look...
And yes, the F&G range is still here, and much improved....even covered firing points!

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
This will sound too simple, but... will the first round feed if you pull back the slide and release it rather than using the slide stop? Might try it.

Sounds like your feed ramp is coated. Right? Could that need some attention?

Have you contacted the person who coated your gun?

Good luck. I know you'd rather have a reliable gun than half-baked suggestions.

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tonerguy: Yeah, it's been a combo of problems. I discussed it more in the "gunsmith" section as it turned into that sort of deal. I'm thinking it was barely functional to start and the change in tolerances pushed the pistol into the malfunction mode. It's running fine now. Thanks again to you and everybody else for the input. Stay safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts