1911Forum banner

Re-finishing my Pro

1230 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  saromans134
I have had my Pro-Model for about 2 years. I carry it everyday as my duty pistol. I am a motor officer in central florida. The Black-T finish is showing some wear. My job and the weather are rough on any pistol finish.

Also, the lettering on my slide is lightly stamped making it difficult to see. Debbie from the custom shop told me that the F.B.I. had requested this. The words "Professional Model" are almost impossible to see.

I have sent the slide and frame back to be re-finished and to see if the slide can be re-stamped. Debbie told me that slide probably can't be re-stamped but they would try to do this.

Has anyone else had their pistol re-finished and how long was the turnaround? Also is the lettering on your Pro-Model very faint?

My Pro-model is an excellent duty weapon. It is extremely accurate and dependable. Everyone who has ever shot my pistol has raved about. I guess I am proud that I carry a Springfield and I want other people to know what kind of pistol it is.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Pro refinish

Hello,
I had my pro refinished about 2 months ago and it turned out great. I had it back in my holster in less than 3 weeks. My lettering has not worn at all just the finnish. The only downside was the $175 plus shipping but it was worth it.
Good Luck

· Registered
47 Posts
Did Debbie say why the FBI...

...requested such a modification? I prefer the deeper stamping, and the more pronounced font of the earlier models. Thanks for the post; I will be sure to request deeper markings if it is possible.

· Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my Pro-Model back on 10-31-05. Springfield received on 10-17-05. It looks better than when I bought. They were able to re-stamp the slide. Total cost including shipping was $200.00. This included re-finishing every thing but the barrel, restamping the slide, adding a tritium insert to the front sight and retightening the ambi-safety. I had added a taller front sight. The custom shop did an excellent job.

· Registered
46 Posts
I have 2 pro's one late and one earlier model. The later model's roll marks are very light and I was upset at first but when Debbie explained why they were so light it kind if made sense. I shoot them both so I don't really gawk at them that much.

· Registered
323 Posts
Hey. Where are the pictures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.