1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been carrying my new-to-me SA Lightweight Compact, and I've noticed that the thin coat of CLP I put on the slide rails seems to be gone from the frame.

Usually I oil a q-tip and then use that to oil the frame / slide rails (each). The oil on the frame seems to have evaporated.

Should I periodically re-lube?

I'm used to carrying a G19 almost dry.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Apparently that's what CLP is suppose to do. Evaporate and leave a film of Teflon behind. At least that's what I've been told.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
You should keep it lubed as it probably will not run as well dry as the Glock does. Some 1911s actually run better wet. Not sure how often you lube it but i'd put a little more than you are using or switch to something that won't evaporate. Typically CLP will stay around a while and leave a little coating behind.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I carry Blocks, I mean Glocks, as duty weapons and shoot 1911s on the weekends. Yes, 1911s need a lot more lube then Glocks. Some people say you need to actually be able to see the lube on the rails/lugs. I use oil on my blue guns and Wilson grease on my stainless ones.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My late Bullseye gunsmith was big on running them wet. He also didn't clean them much. I tended to try to learn from him rather than buck his knowledge. That said on a carry gun I don't want lubricant or powder residue all over my nice clothes so I tend to clean it a little more often and run it less wet than when I'm at the range.

·
Registered
152 Posts
+1 on Wilson's Ultima-Lube. I've been running it on the rails of all of my semiautos for 8-10 years. Makes'em cycle like buttered snot. I have a Sig P239 in .40 that I've ran close to 30,000 rounds through in very dusty, dirty environments and the factory coating on the rails still looks new. The grease didn't run down my leg in 120 degree desert heat either :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Any petroleum based oil will eventually evaporate. I apply clp with a q-tip as well on the rails, but it does evaporate and any un coated metal just seems to suck it in. I'm going to try a new synthetic lube/oil soon, it's called weapon shield, i'm going to compare my 2 emp's with it. 1. 9mm w/ clp 2. .40 with weaponshield. I'm going to do some testing in the cold and run the guns hot and see how each performs and do some comparison etc.. i want to see how each cleans up and see if there is any gumming up etc..i haven't ordered any weaponshield yet but will after x-mas. I used clp in the usmc and it works fine for me so as a replacement oil or second option oil will be determined.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Tetra Gun Lube 'oil' is what I put on rails of Aluminum frames. Stays on and feels like grease on glass.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
For my SS Milspec I use Militec oil on most gun parts and Militec grease on the rails. The grease stays put and is as slick as snot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts