1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original post was deleted and can't be recovered so, thought I would post again with a request to email me a copy of any responses.

THANKS TO ALL RESPONDED THE FIRST TIME

I really like the Browning Hi-Power and would like to dress it up and make it perform better then it already does. I am not looking for a tricked out space gun for IPSC open matches, more of a IDPA, IPCS Limited, Self Defense pistol.

Who do you have experience with? Who do you recommend? What modifications would you suggest as most beneficial to this pistol?

My initial thoughts were to get a better barrel, tighten and harden the rails for better slide to frame fit and, 30 LPI checkering. I am looking for a reasonable value here as well since I don't have $3,000 to spend on upgrades - cost is a consideration but, not the number one priority here.

Thanks in Advance,
Sid

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
we all know the standard list, Garthwaite, Wickman, Novaks Shop, Don Williams, Kim Ahrends etc...

I would really like to see more of Ahrends HP work or talk to some one that has one etc..

·
Registered
684 Posts
Agree with above list.

Another possible is Jim Hoag in Canoga Park, CA. He can add an interesting screw-in barrel bushing to the front of the barrel which makes the HP shoot like a 1911.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I sent mine to cylinder and slide but be careful...my front novack pocpped off after 20 rounds and they put on an extended thumb safety but because they weld an extension on the original saftey, it doesn't take to the bluing so my beautiful black hi-power has an ugly brown thumb safety.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had Bill at Cylinder and Slide work on my HP. It has a trigger job and a Bar-Sto barrel. I shoot Practical and IDPA with it.

His work has been outstanding. It is one accurate gun. I did not have him do any cosmetic stuff to it. In fact, after talking with him I kept the hammer and trigger stock. The pull is less than four pounds.

It may be to heavy for the Practical but for real life defensive it is just right.

I would recommend the larger thumb safety. I am using the stock one and it is a little small.

Quitely, frankly I can not say enough good things about Cylinder and Slide. Bill was such a picky gunsmith he did not like the traditional HP flyer. You know four tight shots in a group and another about a half an inch away. He worked with Bar-Sto to fit the barrel perfectly not just good.

The groups are unbelievably tight, no fliers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey hoser, where abouts are you from?
I ask because not many people seem to know about Hoag, he's about 2 miles from my house!
I've hade him work on several weapons including my Charles Daly FS.
Just wondering if you were a local.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Kestryl, how old is Mr. Hoag these days? I met him at the Steel Challenge in 1988 and was surprised even then that he was still in business. He was very friendly and accommodating to this nobody from nowhere (me). I had of course seen his work in magazines, as-in the early days of American Handgunner, and I guess you could say that he and a few of the other old-timers inspired me to get into the biz.

Great to hear that he's still active!

Ned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts