1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: "Should I sell it?" , .45 ramped barrels.

In the first pic, what appears to be machine marks on the left side of the frame feedramp, is actually a reflection of the surrounding area.

In this case, a ramped barrel was used to allow interchangeability in a 2 frame (Para and Colt), 3 slide, 4 caliber (.45, .40, 38 Super, 9mm) system.

Excerpted from: http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002180.html

"thunderstick,
I'm sure your deep-seating, feeding trouble is directly related to the configuration of the barrel's feedramp.
Most smith's do not want to alter the factory feedramp to any appreciable degree.
I've found it is necessary to remachine to the point that the cartridge is no more supported than on a conventional barrel.
The bottom of the feedramp should sit perhaps .060" forward of the frame, then a small and shallow ramp is cut into the frame at this point to accomodate rounds striking the frame below the barrel feedramp. The upper portion should expose as much case as a factory barrel.
This usually means steepening the angle by a significant degree and moving it forward by as much as .050".
George Smith is one of the resident smith's familiar with this process.
I am currently re-assembling a ramped barrel 45 that has just come back from replating. If anyone would like, I might be able to post a couple of pics."

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 10-23-2001).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pistolwrench,
Anytime you want to post a picture of your work, by all means, do so.
I am an admirer of your work, and a greenie to the 1911 game. Your postings have inspired me to ignore the over the counter "customs" (thank you) and begin the pursuit of excellence with a brand new Colt 80 series, parkerized.

Please continue to astound and amaze...

Sendero

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I've found it is necessary to remachine to the point that the cartridge is no more supported than on a conventional barrel.
The bottom of the feedramp should sit perhaps .060" forward of the frame, then a small and shallow ramp is cut into the frame at this point to accomodate rounds striking the frame below the barrel feedramp. The upper portion should expose as much case as a factory barrel.
This usually means steepening the angle by a significant degree and moving it forward by as much as .050".
George Smith is one of the resident smith's familiar with this process.
I am currently re-assembling a ramped barrel 45 that has just come back from replating. If anyone would like, I might be able to post a couple of pics."

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 10-23-2001).][/B]

...Yes...please do finish on this post. I have wondered about the exact amount of re-working the area to get a good reliable fit that will be needed and what your version looks like!!!

Thanks very much for taking time on this for us...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gyp-c,
Sorry I missed ya dude.
The pics above illustrate just what I was speaking of.
The post is over, I'd guess.

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
I have had similar experience with ramped barreled 1911 45 and 40 caliber guns also.

·
Premium Member
11,641 Posts
Chuck is that some evidence of welding I see on the rails in the top pic? Got a reason for wanting to know. BTW, Kilt any more skwerls wit dat big rod youz werkin' on?

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BBBBBBilll,
Nope, no weld.
Just a stain from my solvent tank.
As to the squirrel hunting, some here might object to my posting that pic.

Sendero,
Thank you for the kind words.
In my humble opinion, the current Colt 1991's are the finest raw materials available.
In fact, I just bought one for myself yesterday!

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I may be giving you a call if I continue to have problems. I stretched my bullets out and using wilson mags I wasn't able to duplicate the problem in the last 100 rounds I shot. With Chip McCormick mags happened right away. We will see though. It was very helpful to see the pictures and compare it to what I have.

thanks again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Chuck you make me sick bro.
As allways top notch work and man I wish I could take pictures like that.

Chuck is the only guy I know that uses a BAR to hunt squirrel. I am stuck in the minor leagues shooting rabbit with 375 H&H.

------------------
We legislate in tragedy, not in wisdom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts