1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is a long time LEO with the Brevard County Sheriffs Office. He's worked there as a deputy since 1978 and is currently running bomb dogs in cooperation with DHS. He's a long time 1911 guy and recently bought himself a Kimber Custom Lightweight (.45) for duty use.

The pistol is not anodized. He wants to install a steel frame ramp insert and he wants to anodize the frame. Of course, the pistol has to be 100% reliable so the insert may have to be machined to 31.5 degrees once it's installed as well as other things to insure perfect functioning with his JHP duty ammo.

Brandan Bunker is within driving distance but I suspect Brandan doesn't have time to devote to a job like this. Can anyone recommend a really good 1911 'smith within a three hour drive time of Brevard County who can do a great job for my deputy buddy?

·
Registered
21,729 Posts
Why suspect? Call him up. Even if he can't be bothered, maybe he knows somebody who will.

And why drive? As LE, he can mail his gun pretty cheaply.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Deep River Customs has a Florida operation along with the NC operation. I believe they’re nearby.

X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Having been a LEO, my personal choice for a lightweight duty weapon would be an STI 2011 high capacity pistol. The receiver is all steel, so there is no issue when using JHP ammo, but I always like a W/N ramp cut which allows better case support up to the extractor groove..... I would not use the .45acp, but would opt for the 10mm or .40 S&W cartridge......which will allow more rounds in the mag. Also, with a 10mm barrel, .40 S&W may be chambered and fired in a 10mm barrel....... The STI 2011 uses a polymer grip, which is why it is lighter than an all steel gun..... BBBill mentioned Dave Smith who works at Guncraft in Ruskin, FL. He is an excellent pistol smith, and machinist....... I use to be their Firearm's Instructor, and also practiced at their range quite often when I lived in Brandon, FL.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I would think the cost of machining the Kimber aluminum frame to accept a steel insert, and the fact the Kimber 1911 style 9mm gun has less ammo capacity, would not be an optimal gun for a LEO. When I worked as a Deputy Sheriff in the Orlando area, we were issued Glocks, but had a choice of caliber.......the agency wanted a double action pistol, and 1911 guns were not allowed, and even an optional back up gun had to be DA only......

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Just because a person has 40 years of experience as a LEO, doesn't necessarily mean he is an extremely knowledgeable person about firearms. A .45acp aluminum frame 1911 pistol is light for concealed carry, but does not allow the best control for fast and accurate shooting.....I like the 1911 .45acp, have several, but don't carry them concealed...... There is a reason why the majority of LE agencies around the country issue high capacity service pistols.....when the chips are down, not having to reload is an advantage..... When I was a Deputy in Orange County , FL, I had to use a Glock, so I chose a Glock 21 .45acp. I carried my Glock 21 with 13+1 rounds in the gun with two spare 13 round mags on my duty belt for a total of 40 rounds with flush fit mags. A Kimber 1911 with three flush fit mags, would allow 8+1 rounds in the gun, with two spare 8 round mags, for a total of 25 rounds......
You can never have too many rounds in a gunfight, and not having to reload may be a tactical advantage......if I am ever forced to use my handgun to save my life or the lives of others, I want a high capacity handgun with a caliber that offers good stopping power...... Even though "the die has been cast" and the Brevard Sheriff bought a Kimber, I would keep or sell the Kimber, and get a hi-capacity 1911 style pistol like a Rock Island Armory, or an STI 2011, or even a Para Ordnance.....

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
And why drive? As LE, he can mail his gun pretty cheaply.
I believe any individual can ship to an FFL/gunsmith but it has to go overnight and can get expensive, over $100. A cheaper route would likely be FFL to FFL, from my experience it's about $25-30 each way.
Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts