1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Build a better mousetrap and you will get rich.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
looks cool, but I still try to not put my hand over the muzzle of a gun, even taking it apart. How many times have you heard "i was cleaning it and it went off"?

I usually pop the whole upper off, then take it apart. seems to be how all my bull barrels break down the easiest.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
First impression is that I'd like to try one of these. It just might be a better mousetrap.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
can i ask a dumb question here?

What's the point of one of these? I've never had a gun i couldn't just push down with my finger and twist.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
The gun was designed to be disassembled without any tools, but I own a few wrenches that were included in the deal and I bought a wrench when I bought my first 1911. Although they are not necessary to disassemble a gun some guns are more difficult than others and a wrench can come in handy. I would like to buy one but $10 seems a bit steep.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
It sure looks clever.

And though I've never used a wrench, I can sure see this being helpful to shooters with arthritis or a mild hand disability.

Good post!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use one of the Wilson blue plastic bushing wrenches as a key fob. That way I always have a bushing wrench with me. The one in the OP I would probably lose, but it looks like it would work well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
looks cool, but I still try to not put my hand over the muzzle of a gun, even taking it apart. How many times have you heard "i was cleaning it and it went off"?

I usually pop the whole upper off, then take it apart. seems to be how all my bull barrels break down the easiest.
step1 in cleaning a gun... check to insure it is unloaded and chamber is empty

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
It does have a larger face to trap a plunger and spring from launching, but only if you keep it from tilting. Without having tried it.......I would assume it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....for me.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts

What's the point of one of these? I've never had a gun i couldn't just push down with my finger and twist.
Many people can do this with their physical skills. Others either cannot, or find it to be an unnecessary struggle. Among all 1911 users, some people have the hand/finger strength of a U.S. Navy SEAL; but others are 90+years of age and suffer from the common physical limitations that tend to accompany old age. Most are somewhere in between.

After one occasion when I stubbornly insisted on doing it by hand (on a tight fit and a heavy spring weight), my fingers slipped and I wound up with an uncomfortable cut on my thumb. Could still shoot fine, but couldn't play golf for a couple weeks. Ever since, unless it's an easy/light fit & spring, I give myself a break and use a wrench.

Then there's the matter of the 1911 that's really tightly fit. I don't like these, but I've seen some that are so tight as to virtually require a wrench.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts

No dumb question.

But my bushings are so tight, there's no way I could get them off with my fingers. And I'm a mechanic, so my fingers and grip are pretty strong.

·
Registered
334 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts