1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. I've got the Dixie Gun & Knife Show coming up the end of this month, and am looking at purchasing a series 70 LWT Commander there.

Could ya'll please give me some opinions on how you like the LWTs, and maybe some tips on what to look for so I don't get taken? I know there was a frame crack issue with higher round count guns. Could someone tell me where to look for that?

Thanks in advance for all the opinions and advice.:D

BTW, it will become my MAIN carry gun, so any comments on reliability issues are also welcome.:)

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
I love LW Commanders. They make a great carry gun. I have shot matches with mine and find that at "fighting distance" there's nothing better. The light weight more than makes up for any increased muzzle rise. It's fast from the holster and fast between targets. Less weight to start and stop.

For frame cracks look at the junction of the dust cover with the front of the slide rails, around the slide stop hole and inside the mag well where the disconnector is visible through a square hole in the frame. That square hole can lead to cracks occasionally.

BTW, most frame cracks are self limiting once they do occur. Once the stress is relieved they tend to stop. Drilling the end of a crack with a small drill size will stop a crack positively.

Shoot it unit it turns to dust in your hand! :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
8-round mags

I love my LW Commander in 38 super. However, I have had problems with the .45 ACP commander before when using 8-round mags. It did not matter the brand, I would have a last-round failure often enough to ruin my confidence in any .45 ACP commander from now on. I tried all sorts of spring combos to no avail. If I did use a 45 acp commander, I would use a modern reliable 7-rounder like those from Wolff. I had no problems with 7-rounders at all. As for my 38 super LW Cdr, no problems at all with 9+1 using metalform mags.
Good luck,
Lenny

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,058 Posts
I just bought a (little) used, early S80 Commander. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I completely disassembled and detail cleaned it during my 3-day inspection period.
If you are looking for a gun with some collectability, be sure that you don't pay extra for any "extras". A S70 Colt with aftermarket parts is worth less than a stock one. A lot of older Colts will have aftermarket sights, stocks, etc., and that should all be taken into account; unless the mods are what you would do anyway, in which case you can figure your savings into the price. My gun has had a trigger job, including a Wilson Hammer, Videcki trigger, titanium mainspring cap, and while that reduces the collectability, it probably saved me $100. My gun has the original aluminum, arched mainspring housing, which I considered a real plus, but you might prefer a flat, steel one.
I shot a buddy's custom Caspian lightweight, and was really impressed with the controllability; the recoil seems to come straight back, without as much flip as I'm used to with a full-size. I really liked the way it handled, and that's why I went looking for one. Of course, I wanted one with a horsey on it.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
The LW Commander is a nice CCW gun, with a bit sharper felt recoil than the GM or Combat Commander, hence a gun "carried a lot and shot a little", for many owners.

The frame crack issue isn't made-up, and I've seen several examples of it, on older much-used guns, but it has NEVER seemed to go past a certain point, and hasn't required frame replacement.

Best.

·
Banned
1,324 Posts
simply one of the best carry set-ups ever designed.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The big issue for me was fitment. After I found one (LW XSE) I was happy with, I took her out for initial stess testing.

With factory 230 ball & HP's, and my hand load 230 HP's, I incurred (surprisingly) no failures to feed, or eject. Wilson 47D mags were used exclusively.

Accuracy was (2.5" @ 20 yards off bags) acceptable, & recoil was (surprisingly as well) not noticeably worse then my all steel Government w/ the same loads.

If you find a good one, I think you will be a happy camper!

·
Administrator
13,261 Posts
I think it's the ideal all around 1911 !

Working where I do , I can obtain any handgun I want . My Novak Commander Lt Wt by the late :( Joe Bonar , is the one I reach for every time .

I have seen 2 Lt Wt Colts with cracked frames like toner described . One a 1953 pistol WELL used and the other a mid 1970's .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody for the responses. The show is in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to check out as many as I can. Hopefully, that one will just scream "Pick Me!".

Thanks Again,
Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts