1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will a commander slide barrel fit on a government frame? If so is it possible to buy a commander slide and barrel and interchange it on your government model so that you can have 2 guns in 1? I know they are odd questions but I was BSing on the net looking at 1911s and this popped in my head. So, I have to ask.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Your government frame will have to be permanently modified to accept the commander length slide assembly. Commanders often use a different ejector geometry as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought there would have to be some technical differences. But I am no gunsmith so I had to ask. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Your government frame will have to be permanently modified to accept the commander length slide assembly. Commanders often use a different ejector geometry as well.

Not necessarily. You can make a recoil system that will work to fit a Comm slide on a gov frame. Caspian comm slides are identical to gov's except overall length, last time I built one anyway. I put one on a standard STI frame no problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Which parts? I'm curious. Other than the slide, barrel (and bushing if app.), guide rod if FLGR and spring plug. What else? If you do a bushing gun, either buy a commander bushing or shorten a std one. Cut down a standard spring plug and use a GI type guide rod. I've done both bushing and bull barrel versions on unmodified frames.

The commander slides I've used were identical to goverment profile except overall length.

On my own cut down gun I used a flat wire spring because it's stacked length is much shorter than round wire. I didn't want to cut the frame rails back to regain the spring length. I'm assuming that's the modification to the frame that was mentioned earlier.

My point is it CAN be done without mods to the frame.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=252106&highlight=hacksaw

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've done both. I bought a Commander slide from Caspian and fitted it to an STI frame. I had to rework the recoil system a bit. Shortened the bushing, used an EGW blank spring plug (so I could cut the depth and lenght myself) and trimmed the spring so that it didn't bind. That was pretty much it. Everything else was the same as any other build.

·
Premium Member
11,666 Posts
The facts.....

1. A true Commander spec slide and frame are different from a true Gov't spec slide and frame. Some folks have dropped Commander top halves on Gov't lowers and had them function reasonably well. Some have had nothing but trouble with that. It is the luck of the draw (and how the tolerances stack).
2. Caspian Commander slides may or may not be true to the original spec. Caspian has made several variations of slides and frames over the years that have deviated from the original to one degree or another. I own an older Caspian slide that is niether Gov't or Commander spec. It was made specifically to give near Commander length benefits when installed on a Gov't frame. It is a hybrid, neither fish nor fowl.
Any deviation from stock configuration creates a new set of issues to solve. Not that they can't be. That is where some of our more recent innovations in the platform were developed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts