1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Metro Arms Compact Commander about a year ago. I ran 2 - 300 rounds of factory ammo, mostly Speer Lawman through it for break-in. When I started using my reloads, I had trouble with some rounds not fully chambering. After measuring some of the factory ammo, I changed my setup to crimp to .469" As long as I stay at .469", it works fine. Occasionally, I get a round that hangs up, and when I check some other rounds in that batch, I find that I have rounds that measure .4695" This is infrequent, and a thumb on the back of the slide puts it in battery. Since it is just range ammo, I haven't bothered about it, because I would rather not crimp smaller than .469"

I got into my factory ammo stash today, and had some hang ups with Winchester White box. I measured some rounds in the remainder of the box that went as large as .471"

I do use this gun as a carry piece. I know that defensive ammo is typically sized small to ensure feeding, but I'm thinking that I should get the chamber reamed. Your input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,672 Posts
WWB does not have a great reputation these days but considering that SAAMI maximum case mouth diameter is .473" and chamber mouth minimum is .474", I would get it reamed.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
The brass on WWB can also be too long. Chamber depth is a concern. To consistently run WWB, I have found chamber depth needs to be in the middle of the Go and No Go gauges on 45.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
WWB, some guns won't shoot it. Make sure when you do the plunk test with your hand loads that the bullet is seated deep enough.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Just to piggy back on Jim's post, I looked up the spec for the diameter at the front of the chamber. Kuhnhausen shows it to be .4744" +.0040" and .474" Reference. SAAMI differs only in that it doesn't call out the +.0040" tolerance.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. With my other pistols, I use to crimp to .472", and this worked fine. I know that you can go as low as .467" and still be in tolerance, but I'm not comfortable crimping that small with .452" coated lead bullets. I will take the pistol to my local smith and seek his advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts