1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

I have completed the fitting of a new Schuemann barrel and am now ready to ream the short chamber. The go gauge is above the end of the hood about .012". I am using a Nowlin Match Chamber Reamer by Manson. My question is how hard should it be to turn the reamer in the chamber. With the barrel in my vise and a 12" bar on the reamer I can not turn it with what I believe to be moderate pressure. About 30% of a 5'-11" 185 lbs. 50 year old who works every day. Do I have a problem or is more pull and ass needed.

Thanks and Happy Holidays

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
It shouldn't be that hard to turn - it usually takes less effort than it does to turn a tap or die. Check to make sure the pilot on the front of the reamer fits the bore. It should slide in easily with no side play.

Also, there is usually no need to push the reamer into the chamber. With the barrel in a vise with the chamber pointing up, the weight of the reamer and handle is usually enough pressure. All you need to do is turn the handle.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If a barrel doesn't come with a leade already cut, you will be cutting the leade as you chamber. Said differently, you'll be trimming a very shallow taper into the back of the rifling as you are reaming the chamber. Some barrels are chambered by the manufacturer to pretty much full diameter, lacking only correct full depth and the leade being cut.
It sounds like your chamber is like I just described and your reamer has gone a little too deep and has contacted the reamer's flutes into the rifling, before you started to turn the reamer. Pull the reamer back up and go in again, this time turning as you go. It may feel "choppy" as you cut the leade, but should quickly start turning smoothly as you begin cutting the front of the chamber. Check your depth frequently as it is easy to over-cut.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John,

I held slight upward pressure and started the reamer to cut the lead. Completed the chamber and throat in less than 10 minutes. After checking with go and no-go gauges I tried varies types of loaded ammo from my bench and all types and brands dropped into the chamber smoothly and meshed evenly with the rear for the hood.

Thanks again,

T. W. Cornelison

1 - 4 of 4 Posts