1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided that the windage on my tactical custom is off after putting it through its break in period. It's off about 4 inches to the left at 20yards. Even though the sights are fixed it seems like I should be able to loosen the screw, tap the rear sights over in the beavertail a little and then fasten them down again. Is that possible, it would fix my problem? I went to try it out but for the life of me couldn't get the screw to budge and was afraid I'd mangle the hex pattern so I quit. Does kimber put thread locker on their screws out of the factory?

And in the event that this is a viable solution and I figure it out, how much should I move the sights? Is there a formula I could use so its not pure trial and error?

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
A bit of high school math will tell you how far to move the sights, it's a direct ratio between the distance to the target and the sight radius of the pistol.

20 yards is 720 inches.

Assume the sight radius of your pistol is 6.6", the same as my Goverment Models. You can measure yours, but this is close enough for a 5" M1911.

The ratio is 720:6.6 or 109:1

This means that 4" error can be adjusted out by the ratio of 4" / 109 = .037". Call it .04".

How you're going to get .04" movement whacking the sights with a hammer is another question as Kimber sights are fitted with a 30 ton hydralic press. Not really, but it sure seems like it. A sight adjusting tool is a $100+ item. Won't hurt to try. Loosen the screw first.

The width of a 0.7mm pencil lead is a good reference as it's about .03". Scribe a pencil mark to the right side of the rear sight and tap it until the line just disappears under the sight. May take a surprising amount of strike to move the sight.

BTW ya got the wrong animal. Sights are in a DOVEtail; the grip safety is a BEAVERtail. :p

HTH,

-- Chuck

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
I think Kimber drives the sights in with a hydraulic press, to discourage people from messing with the firing pin block. The screw may have some chemical locking compound on it, and application of some heat might loosen it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
To expand on RickB's answer a bit: to apply heat to the set screw in an effort to release any thread locking compound, try a soldering pencil with small-diameter tip inserted into the set screw recess, or use the tip of a length of straightened coat hanger, heated with a propane torch.

I've adjusted and removed/replaced sights on several Kimbers, and found that investing in a sight pusher (the Model P500 from Brownells is recommended) is far less expensive than repairing the damage that results from using dynamite or a full-size sledge hammer, the only other effective means of performing this task -- or so it seems.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
I had to saw the sight off my first Kimber Ultra. Verticle slot right down the dovetail, then knock the sight out.

I do NOT recommend this techinque, but it was the best I could do at the time.

-- Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts