1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the 10-8 rear sight. Looks like they have .125, .140, .156 notch widths...how does someone choose? What is best for 0-25 yards accuracy, IDPA, CCW use?

I have used .125" and it is ok. I think I would like a larger width. Was thinking .140, but thought I would ask for opinions on this..

·
Registered
990 Posts
I use a .120" rear with a .100" front F/O and it works well for me from Steel to range/Target. FWIW

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have a .140 10-8 on my Baer that is a very nice mix of speed and accuracy. I don't think with my eyes I would ever need the .156 as the .140 is fairly wide. I believe the Wilson Combat battle sight is .145 and most that have shot it feel it's a good mix of speed and accuracy.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What size front do you run with the .140 rear??
It is a .128 "White Ball" by Chuck Rogers. At least that's what my calipers measure.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
A bigger ball on the front sight to see without hanging over, possibly easy for your eyes to pick up.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
For me, the width of the rear notch depends on the width of the front sight, and how much light you like to see on either side. But I found that if there is too much light it takes me a little longer to make sure the front sight is centered. For example, I once tried a Warren/Sevigney .115" front with a .156" rear, and while that combo was good for quick sight acquisition in USPSA/IDPA shooting, there was too much daylight visible, and I found I wasn't as accurate.

If running a .125" wide front sight I would want the .140" wide rear notch for sure.

Currently all of my 5" guns are set up with .090" or .100" wide front sights and I pair them up with either a .115" wide rear notch (Bomar-style adjustable) or .125" wide fixed rear notch (Heinie Slant Pro or 10-8 U-notch). I like the narrow front sight since it doesn't obscure as much of the target and I find I can be a little more precise.

I will admit it took me some trial and error to come to this conclusion... but if you are careful when drifting the sights in and out you can sometimes sell the ones you don't like.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I prefer a .150 rear with a .100-.115 front. I like a lot of daylight around my front sight. The accuracy standard I use to measure a sight/gun/shooter combination is 10 rounds in a USPSA A-zone shot freestyle from 50 yards.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,331 Posts
I would definitely recommend a rear notch at least as wide as the front sight, but I'd also say your front sight is too wide.
I find it difficult to aim at a point on the target when the front sight appears to be as wide as the entire scoring zone. For IDPA and USPSA, I'd recommend a front sight no wider than .10", but if you've already got the wide front, get a wide enough rear that you have some light on either side.
Some people like to see a "1-1-1" relationship, with the front sight and the light bars on either side of equal width. I prefer something closer to 1-2-1, with the light bars half as wide as the sight.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
This is where belonging to a gun club or clubs help. You might be able to try several and see which one you like the best. Eyes and experience are different what I say I like will not help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts