1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Today when I was at the range I noticed that the rear sight on my gold cup tilted slightly to the left. Does anyone know what causes this? I saw that there is a hole straight through the sights which probably contains a spring or a rod of some sort, am i right in believing that the rod or the spring simply has fallen out and that that could be the cause of my problem? Does anyone know if this is a common fault on the gold cup?

I've only fired about a thousand rounds with this gun., so I'm a little concerned!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok good! Thank you for your fast reply!

I live in Sweden so I guess I'll just have to start looking for a good retailer..

·
Registered
948 Posts
It sounds like the problem I had years ago. The factory roll pin that holds the Eliason sight body to the slide had worked out of one side on my '62 National Match, the Gold Cup's predecessor. I replaced it with a solid pin of the correct diameter and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
it is entirely possible they are an early version of these....

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
There are several methods of fixing this problem.

One is to replace the pin with another roll pin.

A stronger method is to use drill rod, or even a broken off shank of a drill.
Put a slight bend in the pin to prevent it from working it's way out.

Another method is to use a section of an Allen (hex) wrench. These are very strong, and tend to stay put better.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Drill rod is an excellent solution. Fit a piece of the appropriate diameter so that it doesn't stick out on either side and then take a brass punch and strike the rear sight directly above the new pin. This will bend the new pin into a "U" which will not work its way out. In my early days of IPSC I used a Gold Cup and found this an excellent solution to the wear and tear of 175 PF loads on the rear sight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts