1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I need some advice. I am installing a 10-8 Performance rear sight on my Tisas 1911. After fitting it, it is almost ready to be installed completely (just waiting on the Loctite). However, when it is finished, the rear of the sight will stick out past the rear of the slide by 1.3mm. It's not much, but will be annoying. I assume the dovetail sight cut on the slide was not quite in the right spot. Anyways, how would you guys go about fixing this cosmetic detail? Take a file to it and then re-serrate the sight (and possibly the slide)? Thanks for the ideas. That's the only one I can come up with.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I would say leave it alone. You won't hurt anything by filing it flush and cold bluing it but if it overhangs by so little, why bother?

If you do decide to blend it, your plan sounds fine.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you don't want the sight to overhang, the only thing feasible to do is to move the rear face of the sight forwards and reserrate it (or not, as you see fit). It's not really that much work.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Personally, I'd do it on the slide unless I was trying to preserve the slide's finish. Otherwise,you've got to go on and off with the sight to check progress. And the slide does a pretty good job of holding the sight.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but removing 1.3 mm from the rear face of that sight will lose the smaller aperture and cut into the larger opening of the sight, won't it?? Looks like there's only about a mm or so to work with...?

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
It's just about cosmetics so how about filing the lower portion of the rear of the sight on a reverse angle to the angle of it now. I can't tell from your pic but it looks like filing the lower 1/3 of the sight might do the trick.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
If it was mine, I'd leave it like it is. I don't think it looks that bad.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Its okay if the hammer doesn't hit it.
I was ready for this response. Same 10-8 rear sight, same location of the dovetail. I have already sent the slide to someone trustworthy to implement a fix.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys, thanks for the help. I think I fixed it. What do you think about this? I'm going to do a separate write of my sight installation.

Just a little filing and it'll do quite nicely I think.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
What did you mean by "waiting on the Loctite"?

Loctite is anaerobic (without air) and will not start to set up until the pieces are fitted together thus starving the chemical for air and starting the adhesion process.

If I misunderstood you then never mind. I just didn't want you waiting around for nothing. The sight looks fine BTW.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What did you mean by "waiting on the Loctite"?

Loctite is anaerobic (without air) and will not start to set up until the pieces are fitted together thus starving the chemical for air and starting the adhesion process.

If I misunderstood you then never mind. I just didn't want you waiting around for nothing. The sight looks fine BTW.
Oh no, the Loctite was coming in the mail today. It finally got here.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
HA! I'm a dolt...

Goes to show it's hard to read a person by a post on the Internet.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
This is the reason a professional smith will not just cut a dovetail without the sight in hand. Each sight, even from the same maker can have a slight dimensional difference. I never relie on the manufactures specs, always measure for your self.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I think you did a good job. Looks great!

·
Banned
817 Posts
Looks great and for what its worth it would have bugged the heck out of me. Good Fix.
Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts