1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm pretty new to 1911s and Kimbers so please excuse what is probably a pretty naive question.

I seem to now be doing an OK job of the sometimes tricky job of reassembling a Kimber Custom II after field stripping but I am wondering about one thing:
The slide stop is supposed be inserted through the hole in the barrel link. My question is how do you know for sure after assembly that you have indeed done that? If you have missed the hole will it not even be possible complete the installation of the slide stop? Or, if it is possible to still install the slide stop, how would a person know that the hole in the slide stop had been missed? Would the barrel move with the slide or would there be some other major indication that the reassembly had not gone correctly?

Chuck

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hold the slide and push the slide stop down, if the slide comes off in your hand rather than stopping where it should, you didn't engage the barrel link with the stop.

If you rack the slide (gently on an empty chamber) and it stops where its supposed to and you dry fire it and the hammer drops only when you've squeezed the trigger and the grip safety, then chances are, you put it back together correctly, if all you did was field strip to begin with. If you mucked with the frame works, do a full safety check. I think someone has this posted somewhere.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I always look through the hole to see the link in place. If I can't look clean through or if I see the link, I bump the muzzle and the link falls into place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reassembly tips. It looks like I am doing everything correctly; sometimes, however, I get a little nervous wondering if I got all of the bits and pieces back together correctly! :scratch:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
You're fine. Without the link being connected the barrel will not pivot. Therefore, the gun won't cycle properly when the slide stop is not correctly installed.

Nate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts