1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total time from order to delivery was ~29 months. I ordered this one as a gun I had planned to keep for a while, but didn't expect it to take so long. In the interim, I've had a few full house customs built(rogers, BEC and SACS, Volkmann).

The good:
- the gaps on my magwell aren't the same as birdy's, but not perfect. They are on par with my '09 CQB elite and '10 supergrade
- ball end mill cuts line up better than my ulcc
- checkering looks great, no inconsistency with the french border

The bad:
- I have a gap under the rear sight, as if it was milled for a different sight and then they installed the battle notch sight that I can see light through
- battle notch rear sight serrations are all beat up, like it was tumbled in a box with many other sights. The serrations are mashed and dented. I checked all of my other wilsons, from CQB to ULCC to supergrade, and this is the only one with a non flush rear sight and one with dinged up serrations

I ordered the gun through George at migunslingers, as I have several of my Wilsons and couldn't recommend him enough. I can't fathom trying to keep up with all the orders and questions and changes coming in. I added the french border about 2 years into my wait, and sure enough, they made it!

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
That's a good looking gun. I like the BEMC and other touches. George is absolutely fantastic to deal with. Great guy.

I'm sure your Supergrade is in spec. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
13,379 Posts
Gorgeous gun!
You can often see a light gap under the rear of all Battlesights. The sight is fitted at the dovetail, not the rear portion. I would have to see a pic of the serrations to see what you are talking about.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Looks good!

Is it just me or does it look like the front strap checkering should have gone a little higher? I also don't like how the sight overhangs the rear of the slide, or at least it looks that way.

How does it compare to your Rogers, BEC?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
That's a great looking gun! Only bad thing I can see is the gap in the rear sight.

·
Registered
333 Posts
BTW, in my experiences of sending three Wilson's to WC to get ball endmill cuts done, all three have come back perfectly aligned.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
What do the innards look like?

My SG is on summer vacation at Turnbull, but here is a pic I have of the sight. No overhang. No gap. (The camera angle is not perfect however). Perhaps OPs overhang is just a result of camera angle.

I will look at my other WCs this afternoon.

I honestly can't see why even non-SG should vary in such an obviously visible way in terms of gap and overhang. If it was my kid, I would want my money back from the orthodontist.

The battle sight looks pretty tight on the WC website:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What do the innards look like?

My SG is on summer vacation at Turnbull, but here is a pic I have of the sight. No overhang. No gap. (The camera angle is not perfect however). Perhaps OPs overhang is just a result of camera angle.
None of my other wilson's have that gap either. However, they all have a different version of the rear "battle sight". I wish I could say it was the angle of the photo, but it does stick past the slide, and again, it's worse on this SG than my other pistols.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does it compare to your Rogers, BEC?
I think its as expected between the difference in a mass produced gun, and one off customs. At this price point, I anticipated a little better execution from Wilson as the full customs are not far off. For someone who knows what they want, and knows the aesthetics they are after, my recommendation is to go full custom.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I looked at 7 other Wilsons in the safe, none had the overhang to the degree yours does, and on maybe 3 I could see the slightest bit of light under the sight. I would have a great deal of trouble even photographing it. 4 had battlesights.

I have a naive question. What is this hump?

Also, as to the issue with the serrations on the battlesight, I can clearly see something that visually interrupts the horizontal lines of the serrations in the photographs, but I can't tell whether is it dust/dirt. You are saying these are dings?

Also, get a look on the inside for tool marks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yes, I thought maybe it was dust/the silicon cloth, but it's not.

The hump is the area behind the slide top serrations that wasn't flattened. I believe around '10 is when wilson stopped taking the serrations from sight to sight.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The hump is the area behind the slide top serrations that wasn't flattened. I believe around '10 is when wilson stopped taking the serrations from sight to sight.
OK, yes, I see that. I had not noticed the flattened top of slide in the pictures. Thank you.

The french border is very nice. I would have liked that on one of mine.

Here is a recent purchase (CQBC), with top of slide serrations, showing minimal overhang.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Yes, I thought maybe it was dust/the silicon cloth, but it's not.

It needs to make a return trip. I don't think that should have ever left WC especially on a SG.

I'm sure WC will make it right for you!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm sure Wilson Combat will make it right, but why do SG's continue to leave factory like this? WC advertises the SG as the best of the best, that's why some pay a premium over the CQB level gun. This example is not best of the best, in terms of Wilson quality.

The sight serrations look all scuffed up, the rear sight is overhanging, there's a significant gap between the rear sight and slide, the ball endmill cuts do not align.

I figured WC would have gotten the picture after the ball endmill thread, among others about the poor inconsistencies they've been having...and I actually was hoping today's SG's would be better than in previous years...

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
That rear sight gap happens when you don't machine your slide dovetails to the actual depth of the actual sight you are using. Pretty common on a production line where the same cut is made over and over again. If you machine a rear dovetail .125 deep from the flat and your sight dovetail is .127,or more, you get gap.

This is an example of when filing an oversized sight from the bottom of the sight dovetail instead of the sides can lessen the gap.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Don't shoot the messenger, but I've got a Novak bar rear sight on a Wilson that is fitted better than that.

That is two different manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts