1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read of several smith's rechambering 9x19 barrels for a 1911 for 9x23.

Assuming a 'standard' 9x19 barrel, are there any concerns in doing this? I'm wondering if certain brands lack chamber length to accommodate the longer round, or if some brands might lack structural integrity for the increased pressure?

If someone's done this, what barrel did you start with, and what were your results?

I'm cooking up a plan, but want to be able to count to ten after I'm done.... :)

Larry

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've put many (relatively, it's EXPENSIVE in stock ammo form) rounds of 9x23 downrange, but never in a 1911 format. I'm thinking a 1911 with ten rounds of factory 9x23 would be about as close to Mjolinor as I could carry. :)

And agreed, Alchemy-it's just FUN.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. Now to start assembling parts... :)

Larry

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Pray tell, what format?
It was a large frame Witness, originally chambered for .38 Super. Ran 9x23 quite well, except I never quite got the mag's sorted for it. It didn't help that at the time there were approximately 9,325 versions of 38 super mags for that thing, none of which seemed to be the 'current' version.

The 9x23 just seems like a natural for a 1911, though, and ten + one of that ought to fix any problem I'm likely to run across.

Larry

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kevin Angstead won the Bianchi Cup this year with a 1911 open gun chambered in 9x23. This has been his main competition caliber for many years.

Tom
I hadn't realized anyone was still using it in competition. I wonder what the advantage for something like the Cup would be?

Larry

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
As long as we're on the subject (kinda),
what's the feelings on using 38 super and 9x23 from the same barrel?

Let's assume it's a ramped barrel with good support and that the chamber has seen
both reamers.
While NOT a 1911, my Witness (a F/S steel frame) .38 Super ran both from the stock barrel without issue; fed fine, didn't bulge brass, extracted fine. Only problem was the magazines, in that instance.

Not a recommendation, just a data point re: your request.

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.