1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
There should be no problems. All 1911 barrels in the "chamber region" are the same length. They only differ in their total barrel length.

The 9X23 reamer will create the proper chamber length for the longer round. You'll need 38 Super magazines if you only have 9mm length magazines.

I'm not aware of any limitations on barrel brands for holding the pressure. That is, I don't think that a 9X23 barrel requires special heat treatment compared to any other caliber. You could check with someone who makes 9X23 barrels for your peace of mind. (i.e. Nowlin, Clark)

I've rechambered a Nowlin 38 Super barrel and a Para Ordnance 9mm Luger barrel with a Manson 9X23 reamer. No problems. I also have a Nowlin 9X23 barrel. No problems with that either!

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
The 9X23 is a very powerful and fun round for that reason. People should not panic about having a fully supported chamber with the 9X23 if the original Winchester brass is used. It is very thick and durable and was designed to be fired in an unsupported chamber, from what I've read. The information at the link provided in post #3 is consistent with that claim. Only the Starline brass must be used with caution.

The 38 Super does not require a fully supported chamber if pressures are kept within SAAMI specs. There are zillions of Colts out there that have been just fine since 1929. The only time you need a fully supported chamber is when you load ANYTHING beyond pressures for what the cartridge was designed.

Companies don't load stuff that they know will blow up in your gun. Why would they knowingly do that? If they do, they tell you, like warnings that come with Underwood's 10mm ammo. They specifically warn people not to use their 10mm ammo in Colt DE or other guns with rampless barrels because of poor chamber support.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
I hadn't realized anyone was still using it in competition. I wonder what the advantage for something like the Cup would be?

Larry
I doubt he's using factory-power ammo. The 9X23 is used by some competitors in IPSC/USPSA/Steel/Bianchi as an alternative to the 38 Super. Starline's brass is likely targeting the competitor (I suspect) since most nearly all of the guns built for competition have fully supporting chambers and there is no risk of blowout with the Starline 9X23 brass in a fully supporting chamber. And there's no risk of blowout in an unsupported chamber if you're only loading it to minor power factor.

The only advantage of the 9X23 in competition is that it is rimless, whereas the 38 Super is semi-rimmed. The semi-rim can produce feeding issues in double stack guns, and many competitive shooters use rimless 38 Super Comp brass (or related cousins like 38 TJ, Lapua and Armscor RL) for that reason.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
If you want to risk blowing your gun up and injuring your hands, eyes and other body parts by firing high pressure ammo in an unsupported chamber, that's your business. If it's worth the risk to you, go for it.

But I wouldn't let anyone else shoot it. If it blows in someone else's hands, they might end up living in your house and driving your car.
Are you saying that it is unsafe to shoot 9X23 using original Winchester brass in an unsupported chamber? What do you base this on? Actual experience, or made up BS?

Back up your statements with documented data, facts, and details. Otherwise it has no value and you'll come off as a pretend know-it-all.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
CWarner,

Are you referring to 38 Super throats in general or does this include "modern" chamberings including the 38 Super Nonte?

I have a drawing for a Nonte Reamer and it looks like the Nonte and 9X23 chamber are very similar. The Nonte chamber has 0.075” freebore followed by a 1.5˚ bevel. The 9X23 has 0.058-0.080” freebore followed by a 2˚ bevel. Bottom line from these drawings is that the 38 Super Nonte throat is as long, or longer than the 9X23, if I'm reading them correctly.

I realize that the old SAAMI drawings for the 38 Super chamber, which headspaces on the semi-rim, has a very short throat relative to the Nonte or 9X23.

Please advise.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
No, I have the numbers right. The 9X23 drawing I have is from SAAMI. The 38 Super Nonte drawing was given to me by Dave Manson (Manson Reamers). I can't be certain of the source of his Nonte dimensions. (The drawing is marked "Loon Lake Precision" but the numbers are handwritten so they could be from another source.)

I wanted to check with you since you're familiar with these cartridges.

It sounds like you have different specs for the 9X23. I should not be surprised. I recently spoke with Mr. Manson and he noted that there are drawings and specs, but the source of those numbers might differ (unless they are from SAAMI?) and what the reamers are made at might be different as well. I have one of his 9X23 reamers. I can't precisely measure the throat on this reamer, but my crude measurement suggests the freebore is around 0.100". But don't hold me to that measurement.

By the way, this reamer is marked "9X23 Nowlin." Maybe the "Nowlin" specs are slightly different?

He also suggested that when converting a 38 Super barrel to 9X23 that a 9X23 reamer should be used to make sure the throat dimensions are "proper", since you can't predict the 38 Super throat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.