1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question is primarily for those who own a champion or know a bit about their recoil setup. Can this be replaced with a different recoil assembly? Oh, I might also ask whether anybody has dropped the weight of their recoil springs from the factory 22# to something lower...I'm thinking the factory weight is pretty friggin' heavy and it may not need to be.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My Champion has an open plug and short guide rod assembly. You can replace this with a closed plug or a full-length guide rod, your choice.

I haven't changed the weight of my recoil spring. If you're shooting light ammo, you may need to do this. Otherwise, with full-power stuff, you need a stout spring to slow the slide down. The Champion slide has a lot less mass than a government model slide, so a stronger spring is needed to make up the difference. A common rule of thumb is to see how far your brass is ejecting. I believe I've heard that the empty cartridge case should land between 4 and 10 feet from the shooter, or something like that. You can adjust the spring accordingly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts