1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 9mm Stainless Target II for my wife. On her first use of the gun it would not feed, eject or lock back! To say the least we were not happy Kimber customers.
Rather than send it back to Kimber, we took it to a local gunsmith and after $277 of work the gun works fine. One of the things the smith did was put in a lighter recoil spring. When I asked him about adding a recoil buffer he said not to do it.
I am wondering what others think about this, does it harm anything?

Thanks
Rich

·
Registered
105 Posts
I sure would like to know what the gunsmith did that cost $277.00 A new recoil spring is about $8.00. And the 12 pounder is what the gun comes with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had the dependability package, trigger job and a gold bead put on the front sight.

The gun came with a 16# spring.

The smith does very good work, but I am really looking for thoughts on recoil buffers not gunsmiths.

Rich

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was told by Kimber that their 9mm is shipped with a 12 pound spring. I also have asked about the shock buffer in the 9mm and both Springfield and Kimber assure me it is not needed in a 9mm. However, my gunsmith and another whose opinion I respect, say they disagree here and a shock buffer certainly can't hurt. It will do no harm. It will however add to the problem of the slide not locking back after the last shot, because it will not allow the slide to come back as far. This also happens in a .45acp, but usually goes away after a time. I don't know if this is also true of a 9mm, as I haven't tried it yet.
Also, I was wondering, what is a "dependability package"?

·
Registered
22 Posts
If the Kimber is being used as a CCW, I personally wouldn't have a recoil buffer installed.

I use them in my competition guns but I check them before every match. Learned this from experience and having a gun lock up during a run in a combat match.:( (Which is common sense but I got lazy)

My own stupidity for not replacing the worn buffer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had a shok-buff in my 9mm for over 2000 rounds... so far, the original shok-buff has lasted this long. I'm only using this gun for practice, so I'm watching to see how long it will last... so far it looks new and the original injection molding rings on the face of the shok-buff aren't even pressed down - it still looks like new. These are Wilson's shok-buff's and the same one's in my .45's only last 400-500 rounds before coming apart.

Obviously, not much impact with the 9mm... but it hasn't caused any malfunction so my thinking is that it can't hurt...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts