1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I have a Springfield Armory V-12 and I purchased a pack of recoil buffers from Brownells and I was just wondering how do I install them there where no instruction on how. And I didnt want to install them in fear of a malfunction! I have a photo of the buffers, I purchased. Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks http://www.geocities.com/heltonprecision/Home.html :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
The buffers go on the recoil spring guide behind the spring. In other words, field strip the gun, pull the spring from the guide, place the buffer on the guide and reinstall the spring, reassemble the gun.

Hope that is clear...
Byrd

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well then,

I would not, repeat not, use recoil buffers. They are not a good idea in a carry piece. Spend your money on something useful instead.

Cheers!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
If your pistol functions fine with them at the range, there is absolutely no reason not to use them in a carry piece. Just make sure it is a new buff.

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Re: Well then,

I would not, repeat not, use recoil buffers. They are not a good idea in a carry piece. Spend your money on something useful instead.
You know, if I were to point to one single item on a gun that's most likely to cause a failure, I would suggest not to use magazines in any gun. They are by far the single, most frequent cause of a variety of failures without a doubt.

Shooting competitively for the last 8 years or so, I've probably witnessed well over a million rounds go downrange and many tens of thousands out of my own guns with recoil buffers. Besides the common mag problems, I've seen barrel links fail, safeties fail, hammer/sears fail, various springs fail, barrel bushings fail, slide stops fail, lots and lots of failures because of ammo, but I have never, never seen a gun fail because of a recoil buffer.

Yes, the item can potentially fail. Yes, sometimes they do fail, particularly when the recoil spring is too light, but they are so far down the list of things that commonly do fail, I just don't see it to be the problem many people claim it to be.

Use 'em if you want. Don't use 'em if you don't.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have seen a recoil buffer fail and cause reliability problems with a gun. It was at an IDPA match.

But I use buffers, even in carry guns from time to time. The key is (as it is with all the parts in the gun) REGULAR CLEANING and MANTENANCE.

Buffers need to be inspected and replaced at regular intervals. So do recoil springs, mag springs, firing pin springs, etc., etc. The gun also needs to be cleaned and lubed at appropriate intervals.

I see too many people that just carry the same gun every day and don't spend any time checking it out for proper lubrication, they don't clean it, they don't replace springs, etc., and then complain when there is a reliability problem. This is all avoidable with a little care and attention.

Buffers are a reasonable accessory. They are especially useful if you shoot hot loads regularly or if you shoot many thousands of rounds like some competition shooters do. If you just plink occasionally, then save your buffer money for more ammo or something else. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not familiar with Springfield's guns, is your gun a full-size model or a compact?

I had a Wilson Shok-buff in my Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II and it caused the slide to "short-stroke" and not feed. It was catching just enough of the round to make it nose-dive in the mag. Luckily this happened at the range...

They may work fine in a full-size pistol, but I'll never run them in a short barreled 1911 again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Full size

:) Mine is a full size 1911 I installed a new shok buff , like you guys told me and Im going to sight in my 454 Casull tomorrow So I'll tote along my 1911 to see how it performs :cool:

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
IN THE BUFF -- MAKE ANYONE RECOIL

I've been 'experimenting' recently with 'buffs' in my Caspian 1911.
I've tried them with a 14lb spring and 'Bullseye' loads, a 16lb spring and 'mediums' (to include Major PF loads), and my original 18.5lb variable.

Gonna take the buff(s) out and never never ever use them again; I sense they impact (oh, I slay myself) reliability.

At least for me.
Pros: none.
Cons: adversely affect reliable functioning, possible fragmentation.

Your results may vary, but I (apparently) am unable to recognize any, as in any, benefits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts