1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I have asked this question in an earlier thread but it was probably missed due to other more important questions.

Here goes:

I have recently discovered how affordable 308 really is. I am also on a mini-quest to get something in this caliber but my objective is low recoil. I have operated my friend's M14 and recoil was too much (so was the wieght). It kicked like a mule and my shoulder was black and blue for days!
So, out of the 3 choices (HK-91 clone, FAL clone or M14/M1A) which has the least recoil? Is recoil considerably lower or higher between the 3?

·
Registered
189 Posts
According to my very subjective shoulder meter (having owned all three), the list from lightest recoil to heaviest would go:

#1 FAL
#2 M1A
#3 HK91

·
Registered
189 Posts
Actually, Id say the FALs more straight in line design limits muzzle rise more than recoil, but the FALs actual rearward push is ever so slightly less to me. Once again, this is all very subjective.

I

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Honestly .308 rifles shouldnt feel that hard. Its a good argument for taking your kids out and making them shoot slugs and buckshot out of a shotgun at a young age to get them used to what real guns feel like. Dont spoil them with .22s and 9mms all the time.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My CAI HK91 beats the hell out of me. My shoulder endures about 400 rounds before bruising in the summer when I'm just wearing a T-shirt. I'm thinking about selling it and just using my Bushy M4 for plinking, home defense and bunny blasting. .223 is far more comfortable to shoot, but I have to admit .308 is more fun.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Mus said:
Honestly .308 rifles shouldnt feel that hard. Its a good argument for taking your kids out and making them shoot slugs and buckshot out of a shotgun at a young age to get them used to what real guns feel like. Dont spoil them with .22s and 9mms all the time.
Yessir, take that kid out there and get him used to shooting a 12 ga slug.:rolleyes: Git up and shoot you *****!! Quit crying!!

Plenty of time for that when they are teenagers. No sense smacking a kid around.

Although I agree with you, .308's in a semi just don't buck that hard. Most of the guns are too heavy to allow much recoil.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
BillD said:
Yessir, take that kid out there and get him used to shooting a 12 ga slug.:rolleyes: Git up and shoot you *****!! Quit crying!!

Plenty of time for that when they are teenagers. No sense smacking a kid around.
I guess we have different definitions of "Kid" I sure didnt mean to take someone out in diapers.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Mus said:
I guess we have different definitions of "Kid" I sure didnt mean to take someone out in diapers.

:rolleyes:
I think it was the "young age" line that I was referring to.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
BillD said:
I think it was the "young age" line that I was referring to.:rolleyes:
I was able to handle shotguns just fine at 11-12.

That I was talking about kids old enough to physically handle the recoil should be obvious.

Leave your childhood trauma at the door.

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my experience, having owned and used all four, felt recoil from least to most:

AR10
FN FAL
M1A
HK91

The straight line stocks and rubber buttplates on the AR10 and FN FAL make them the most comfortable to shoot for me.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
If you want something just a bit different you might think about a Garand and rebarrel it in .308.

I had WTO convert my Blue Sky to .308 and it is a breeze too shoot compared to say my M1A.

You can also switch to a Smith Ent Muzzle Break and add a Mercury Tube Reducer to the butt stock of the M14/M1a to cut the recoil way down.

Cetme has a Muzzle Break that works pretty well at taming the recoil as well.

Karsten

·
Registered
637 Posts
FWIW - the .308 doesn't have what I would classify as bone jarring recoil. Depending on the rifle, it is more of a push than a shove. My first real rifle was a Winchester semi-auto in .308 - I was 12.

Muzzle devices will do more to keep you on target than to reduce felt recoil, IMHO, as the felt recoil is just not as bad as you seem to perceive...

·
Registered
30 Posts
My FAL carbine is not as bas as an M1A. I personally thought the M1A had more kick. Yes the adjustable gas does make a big difference too. But 308's are a helluva fun round to blast with. I usually put about 200-300 rounds thru my FAL when I go to the range, my shoulder has never been sore either. + the FAL is such a heavy gun too. Take a look at DSA arms at www.dsarms.com I purchased one of their STG58 carbines about a month ago. It runs like a dream.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts