1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never realised there was such a difference until today. I shot two steel Springfields; one in a Compact model, and the other a Gvt. The Gvt. was a smooth, balanced, shove towards the wrist, while the Compact really snapped and spit some fire. I used CCI 230gr Blazers in both. As much as I liked the smaller 45 for carry, I shall make the compromise by carrying the extra weight and length from now on. I am much more accurate with the Gvt. platform. That little 45 was probably snappier than a 40SW round going off.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
That's weird - when I go to the range, like today, I shoot a 5" SA Mil-Spec and a 4" Kimber Compact Custom. I don't notice any great difference in recoil, or even a small difference really. When I shoot my Kimber Compact CDP with it's aluminum frame I see some increase in recoil but not alot. I'll stick with the 4" for carry. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Valkman

I thougth it was just me...

I recently spent some time alternating between two Kimbers- a Pro Carry (4", AL frame) and a Custom (5" Steel). The only difference I noticed was the full-size had more muzzle flip, making it easier to get back on target.

I suppose if I was any better at shooting, the groups would have been tighter with the Custom (especially at a distance).

·
Registered
983 Posts
In my hands, a steel Kimber 4" has noticeably more straight-back recoil than a 5", but substantially LESS muzzle flip. I still have no idea why, but my working theory has to do with the shorter slide stroke.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I can tell a differnce between my Kimber Compact CDP and my other 1911's. My CDP is the only non 5" 1911. It also has an aluminum frame. I put a shok-buff in it and I could really tell that it made a difference. Now I put shok-buffs in all my guns.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough

But I've pretty much never noticed a difference in recoil in .45s I've owned which includes a Star PD, a full size Springfield all steel gun and my current Kimber Compact CDP II. I guess it's because as a physical thing I've never felt recoil was uncomfortable or hard to deal with. I'm quite sure there are slight differences, but they're not so great that they've ever caused me to think twice about them. I'm sure competitive shooters who shoot for time can notice a big difference, I'm just a plinker, I guess.

The CDP has a bell at the front of the barrel instead of a bushing, and I'm sure that helps. I'm pretty sure I'd notice a difference in their Ultra, but I've never shot one.

Noise bothers me more than recoil. My flinching problem seemed to evaporate after I started using foam plugs and ear muffs.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Re: Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough

JohnCollins said:

Noise bothers me more than recoil. My flinching problem seemed to evaporate after I started using foam plugs and ear muffs.
hmm, that could be a factor--alot of people don't realize how much effect the noise can have (I didn't), and the shorter barrel would be louder.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My experience has been with a Colt's Combat Commander. This pistol is noticebly "less pleasant" to shoot than my 5" Colt's. More muzzle blast is the main difference. I do most of my shooting "in the field" without muffs, and can easily detect the difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts