1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a custom buildt 5" 1911 38 Super.
My gunsmith who has buildt the gun tells me that a 10 lb recoil spring is installed for factory loads and if I want to shoot major loads I should replace it with a 12 lb.
12 lb for major sounds very low to me.
Advice please:confused:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Depends on how your pistol is set up.
I ran a 10# RS with a compensated/optically sighted 1911-running major loads, .38 Super.
I've a 9mm 1911 (custom Baer) which won't function with heavier than a 10# RS-with 170+ PF loads.
My sense is: the gunsmith PROBABLY knows what he's telling you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
My CQB 38 Super came from the factory with a 12 pound spring. It was less than 100% reliable with hollowpoints. It also felt like the slide action was too slow during recoil. I replaced it with a 14# Wolf and it is now 100% with all types of ammo. I don't reload, so all my guns get factory ammo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, the gun will not cylcle loads much lighter than standard factory ammo with the supplied spring.

When the gun was brand new it would not ever cycle Winchester 130gr, factory ammo.

It has 2000 rounds through it now.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think it comes down to whatever you pistol with run reliably with. Obviously there are other springs that work with the recoil spring to make the pistol run. Wilson Combat thought mine would be OK with the 12 pound spring and most of the time it was.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If shooting stout Corbon loads or equivalents, I'd use a 16 lb recoil spring...

With typical factory umc 130 grain FMJ, 12 or 14 lbs is fine..

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,288 Posts
I use a 12# spring for minor ([email protected]), but would increase that to the factory rating for factory ammo. It's not going to hurt anything to run the factory-recommended spring, so give it a try, and if the gun won't run, then your 'smith was right. :)

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Layne Simpson has directions in his Custom 1911 book for fit and try.

Layne Simpson has directions in his Custom 1911 book for fit and try. He suggests IIRC buying a spring kit of assorted springs starting with too high a spring rating and working down then tending to use the heaviest spring that works 100% with all loads tested. This is about the same advice Bill Wilson gives - again IIRC Mr. Wilson suggests the heaviest spring that works 100% with all loads as actually used.

For my money tracking spring length and replacing the recoil spring regularly is maybe more important than starting heavy and using the same spring forever.

Slamming forward is hard on the pistol too - see all the fuss about releasing the slide to go forward without loading a cartridge at the same time and all the fuss about hammer follow and all the rest. I'd be very dubious about taking the spring from a .460 Rowland and putting it in a pistol with a super light trigger so I could shooot .45 Super.

Then again I'm inclined to either trust my smith or find a new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts