1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you messed around with different power recoil springs in 9x19 1911's used for IDPA or other action shooting?

My ammo PF is around 130-

Thanks-

Brent

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Try a 12#. I use a 13# in my .40 with 145PF loads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Brent, havent seen you in a while.

I been playing around with a 1911 9mm also, I would start around 10-12 lbs and see how she works. You might need to bump up a few a few pounds if you get any FTF's.

Good Luck,
Greg

P.S. I still have that state match shirt. Drop me a line and let me know when you will be down in my neck of the woods.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
I am down to using a worn out 10. Most likely somewhere around a 9-ish if I replaced it with a new.

Going that low, I am using a shok buff and it seems to be holding up fine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My Nowlin 1911 9mm came with an 11. I have run it with a 14lb variable. Ross Carter tells me that will cause excessive muzzel flip. So I am back to an 11 now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My gun came with a 9 pounder, with recommendations to use 9 or 10 pounders. With ammunition aimed at PF of between 125 and 130, no shok buff was recommended.

I guess it depends a little on your mainspring????

·
Registered
645 Posts
I started with a 10 pound spring and a shock buff. It works great with light or heavy loads.

Now I use a 14 lb. spring and no buff.

My ammo is loaded to the maximum listed in reloading the manuals, power factor around 140.

·
Registered
983 Posts
My ammo is loaded to the maximum listed in reloading the manuals, power factor around 140.
VV lists several loads that exceed that. The hottest (N105 + 147XTP) makes 165PF. Just in case you're interested :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use winchester white box 115 grain fodder. I bought a woff calibration pack and tried them all. Settled on the 12#. All the weights worked in the gun, though weights over 14# really slammed the slide when it came back into battery and weights under 10# seemed very sluggish on the return. I felt the 12# was the best compromise.

Probably a feel thing more than anything.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with Ted the 12 seems to be correct in most guns, although a few of my 9's run an 8 or 10 lb. spring. As a general rule I run a 12 with a Wilson buffer but haven't replaced the buffer in 3+ years and have used the gun for almost all IDPA competitions.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Great timing on this question. I had planned to purchase a couple springs to play with in my Springfield. I was going to look and see what factory is and then go up and down from there. I am sure mine is not close to factory anymore. I have never replaces it.

Let me know if you try anything and I will do the same

·
Registered
390 Posts
Daryl: Put a 22 pound spring in there and use it for the winter Sunday league but remember to practice the "tap n rack" drill!:D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Real gun/real life velocities are running about 150 FPS slower than the VV manual states out of their test barrels.

For example; The maximum loads listed for 40 S&W barely makew major out of as real gun rather than a test barrel.

·
Registered
983 Posts
On the other hand, the VV test barrel is 4", so even if it is an overestimate it would be less so for a 5" barrel.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for the advice bever. I see why you send your guns out to have work done on them.

Brent,
what is factory in the springfield 9mm. I am ordering springs this week from brownells. I was planning on ordering a 9lb and 11lb spring. I am sure mine is spanked as I have never replaced it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Buy 10 pounders, they are half the price of a 9 or 11 lb.

Shoot it straight for wimp loads then install a shock buff when you shoot max loads.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The only thing Scandog shoots are wimp loads!!! So he should buy the "pink" 10 pound spring from Kotex!!!!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I almost choked up my liver laughing at that one!

Scan, I can bring you a free 10-pounder to the January match. I bought a 10-pack, they were only two bucks a piece that way. I promise not to paint it pink and tie a string to it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts