1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about installing a recoil spring guide in my CBOB. Anyone use them? Just trying to keep the recoil spring from kinking and rubbing on the barrel.
tc

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You mean a full length one? I'm pretty sure it already has one (not a full length one, but a "Commander sized GI one"). I'd be surprised if the spring is really kinking. Do you have any cause to believe it is?
Don't forget that the CBOB is designed to be a carry weapon, putting a full length guide rod in potentially gives you a situation where you can't rack the slide (One handed drills).

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I mean a full length rod. As far as my reason, the factory spring kinked in the middle two coils after about 1K rounds and rubbed a spot on the underside of the barrel. I read that a FL spring guide will stop this. You could work the slide and hear the spring binding.
tc

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Could it be you just need a new spring? 1K is not a lot but who knows. When did it start binding?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use full length guide rods on my game guns. I think the only thing they buy you is less recoil spring kinking.

I don't use them on either of my carry guns (CBOB and Valor). I am not concerned with the springs rubbing since they can't go anywhere inside the spring tunnel.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spring began to bind actually about a month ago and I noticed the out of round coils while cleaning the pistol, along with the rubbing mark on the barrel. The fix was easy, I just replaced the spring and everything back to normal. I know full length guides are available, just wondered which one is prefered.
tc

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
That sounds like something was out of spec. When you replaced the spring did you check it for stacking? Springs don't like to be stacked, basically too long for the space when fully compressed. It's almost as bad as being stretched too much. If you picture the spring getting compressed fully, then try to push it tighter, it's easy to visualize how the coils could slip in relation to each other, kinks and out of round are a logical result. Would a full length guide rod help with this? Yes, but it would be addressing the symptom, not the curing the problem. Search around there are a few threads on how to determine if the spring is stacking, the solution is "clip a couple of turns off".

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The recoil spring is the factory spring that came with the pistol, I would think it would be the correct length. I replaced it with the correct Wolff spring, we'll see what happens.
tc

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Perhaps, but maybe not. Stacking doesn't mean "the gun won't work", so factory testing for functionality may not show spring stacking. Damage to the spring may be cumulative: stacking is a form of over load on the spring, but in compression not in extension. Overcompress it once or twice you won't notice anything, do it 500 times as a result of shooting it, it weakens a bit, as it weakens damage becomes more visible. I just look at it as part of "tuning" a 1911, easy enough to do when you replace the recoil spring. If you have to cut off more than 2 coils, start with the next stronger spring, i.e. if you like 16lb in your Government model, but you need to cut off 4 coils, start with an 18.5 and cut the coils off.

A quick search showed Kruzr over in the kimber forum giving this method:
The way to check is to remove the spring and push the slide all the way back. Make a mark on the dust cover where the front of the slide is. You can also use a small piece of tape. Put the spring back in and rack the slide all the way back. Make sure the slide still gets to the mark you made. If so, it has full travel. If not, it is stacking.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will try that, but I am still interested in a spring guide. Anyone use one in a short barrel 1911?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I prefer the GI plugs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Actually, no . You would have to order separately , and make sure that the plug is for a full size guide rod , because the GI plug is sealed and the pluf for a full size guide rod is open . Also, make sure you are ordering the guide rod for a commander size gun. Good luck

·
Registered
297 Posts
EGW has the wrong picture of the one piece full size guide rod : The photo that appears on their site is of a full size "two pieces" guide rod. What you want is the full size one piece , that is , as the title suggests , made of only one piece. While there, perhaps you should look at the barrel bushings and get one matching the plug . That would be a mayor improvement in accuracy and looks ... just a suggestion !!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
No . The full size guide rod for a commander gun comes with the correct size for a commander . The words full size refer to the difference between two types of guide rods : the GI type and the full size types , and not to the size of the gun . Now, having said that , there are two different variations of full size guide rods : 1) the full size one piece guide rod , which is made of one single piece of steel , and 2) the full size two pieces guide rod , which is made of two pieces that have a treaded connection in the middle . The problem with the two pieces type is that in many cases it gets loose often ... When you order, you specify the commander size, one piece full size guide rod . If you like you can call those people at EGW... They are great to talk to and will guide you in exactly what you want. Hope that would help you .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts