1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people have mentioned that it would be wise toreplace my Daly's spring with an 18.5lb Wolff for factory loads. I shoot reloads most of the time and factory loads only occasionally. I was wondering if a 17-17.5 or even an 18 spring would be a good "inbetweener" from the stock 16 (is the stock CD spring really a 16#?) and the extra power 18.5#?

Also, would that poundage be okay to use with a reduced power mainspring? I replaced mine with a 19# Wilson and it shoots quicker (I think) with softer resistance when cocking the hammer. It sorta complements my 4 finger Kings sear spring and my aluminum trigger.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what i've been reading, rule of thumb is, if it throws the cases 3-6 feet the springs correct for your loads.

mike

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I wouldn't think you have any need to change to a stronger spring. Based on the "unknown" CD spring, I would certainly replace it with a "known" 16 lb spring. I may be wrong, but I just didn't like the looks of the springs in mine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since it throws casings pretty consistently (5 feet) away from me, I'll probably leave it be for now until the spring fails. Thanks for the replies GR/WP!

Besides in my zeal to replace my stock parts, I ended up replacing my extractor after I filed off too much from the "bump" behind the hook causing too much tension and jamming.

With some help from Vega and an admonishment "not to fix things if they're not broken", my CD's back to normal. I wouldn't want to turn my reliable CD into a jammatic again just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I exclusively shoot my reloads through my Daly. I have found that the Wolff Variable Power 17.5lb spring is practically calibrated for my loads.

My load is 200gr LSWC pushing about 860-910 FPS. I have work-ups with W231, Bullseye, and my current favorite Titegroup.

good shootin', gunny

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone know of an easy Test to gague the weight of a spring? Could it be done in the pistol using a loop of cord around the slide and pulling to the rear? If we knew how far back a springs weight is determined we May be able to Guage what we have and order a better spring appropriately. I don't have my CD yet so i can't try. The end of the week is looking further away.

mike

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GunRunner,

I seem to rememeber reading a post where they said you could check on the recoil spring poundage by counting the number of coils. I'm not so sure though.

Gunny,

Were you able to determine what the original recoil spring's poundage was? Is your 17.5 still fine with factory FMJs? Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi malmon,
The problem with that is theres other factors to consider...
Diameter of the wire
Hardness of the wire
Spacing of the coils
Number of the coils
Length of the spring...

These factors can change but still end up with springs with the same weight.

mike

[This message has been edited by GunRunner (edited 11-14-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts