1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Gov. Model that was converted to Bullseye specs before I got it 20+ years ago. How often do I need to replace the spring? Current one is what came in the gun. I use this one for about 400+ rounds of mid-range loads a month. The only wear I notice is on the bottom lug which is flaring slightly from contact with the slide stop pin. Gun has at least 15,000 rounds through it since I got it. Brass is normally about 3-6 feet right rear.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm not real sure on Bullseye pistols because of the difference in the set-up. Maybe you could contact the 'smith that helped in the first place for more details?...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello Paul,

Recoil springs are relatively inexpensive. Wolff, the standard in gunsprings, has the 1911 recoil springs priced at $7.89 each. The springs come in a resealable plastic bag with the spring weight on it. You should also install an extra-power firing pin spring (the FP springs come with some of the recoil springs)

Wolff also has sets of different-weight recoil springs with the FP springs so you can dial-in the recoil spring weight to the load you are using.

If the ejected cartidge case lands 3-6 feet away, then you have the right spring weight. If the case lands further away, you need a heavier weight spring. If the case doesn't get ejected from your gun, you may need a lighter weight spring.

FWIW, When I was shooting "softball" target loads (185 grain LSWC) in my Government Model, I used a 14 lb. recoil spring. Sixteen pounds is the factory standard spring weight, if you want to shoot 230 grain hardball.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

-Mk.IV
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/ColtNF.html#1911Recoil

·
Registered
61 Posts
Recoil spring- every shooting season or 5000rnds, whichever comes first. For your bullseye gun shooting match loads- 16lb spring max.

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
55 Posts
I change recoil springs every 3000 rds. Like one of the other guys said "springs are cheap".

Here is how I get the right recoil spring for a 1911.

First of all, I use Variable & Conventional weight springs when tuning a stock 5" pistol (no comp) and I only use conventional weight springs in a compensated pistol.

The next thing I do is to watch the pistols front sight. Watch how it returns to the target. If the sight stops above your original point of aim install a slightly heavier spring and try it again. If the sight stops below the original point of aim try a lighter spring and try again.

An 11 lbs. spring is a good starting point in a compensated gun and a 14 lbs. is a good starting piont in a stock gun.

------------------
LOVE THEM 1911s

[This message has been edited by 38 Super Man (edited 08-19-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts