1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange thing occurred today while cleaning my Compact Stainless II. As I attempted to remove the recoil guide rod assembly, it became stuck in the dust cover and required some amount of force to remove it. It would come half way out and then it just froze solid. After I was able to wiggle it free, I found that the recoil spring plug had deformed somewhat around the edge that keeps it in it's place in the dust cover. It appeared as though the plug material was soft and swelled. I'll be ordering a new plug from Kimber a.s.a.p.

It didn't cause the gun to fail or malfunction at any time but it did cause me some concern. My other Compact Stainless II is only three digits from this one in the serial number and it's plug is fine.

I should also mention that I switched to the Wilson Combat HD 22 lbs. recoil spring (just because I had several brand new ones in my tool kit and thought I'd give it a try. The open end of the spring appeared bent when I removed the plug and the takedown wire. I'm wondering if maybe it was a little too long and the repeated compression and extension was causing it to bind. I've since replaced the spring with the Wolff Gunsprings Improved XP (my normal recoil spring).

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SRJim, I'm thinking that you, AZ Husker or Kruzr had told me about this several years ago when I was first considering doing this. I should have listened to you guys. I can be stubborn that way.:(

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I've had nothing but bad luck with Wilson springs. I had issues with both their spring for an SA UC and a Kimber Pro. I never measured them or counted coils, I just tossed them but I believe their springs are too long for the guns they recommend them for.

Stick with Wolf and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use the Wolff springs for the Kimber too, and like them alot. I also swapped the FLGR out for a Commander length rod because I was tired of looking for a bent paper clip. This setup runs like a champ.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I use the Wolff springs for the Kimber too, and like them alot. I also swapped the FLGR out for a Commander length rod because I was tired of looking for a bent paper clip. This setup runs like a champ.
You might have to explain that one. :) I'm having a hard time picturing a commander length GR and plug replacing the Kimber Pro's with a 4" bull barrel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts