1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70's manufacture blue steel Combat Commander. Pistol is stock except for a 2lb. heavier than original Woolfe's recoil spring. My issue is the part of the plug (step?)that mates with the barrel bushing is "shiney" and the outer row of checkering on the recoil spring plug is getting beat up a bit. I do not care about the cosmetic issue, but am concerned about something being wrong. I have two 5" gov models and this does not occur on either one. All thoughts welcome.

TIA,
Roy

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
1: Welcome to the forum.

2: What is the current spring weight besides 2# heavier than the Wolff spring? Is it a Commander length spring or is it a Government length spring? If it is a Gummit length spring it could be acting like a solid rod when it is compressed causing the plug to peen out.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome (and amazingly fast reply!)
I cannot for the life of me find the old package. I do remember that It was specifically for a commander (had to call around to get it) and I think it was 20 or 22 pounds, no more. Just pulled it and compare it to a spring from a gov model. The one from the commander is 2" shorter.
Roy

·
Banned
217 Posts
The extra power spring is larger diameter wire and the compressed length is too long.

I think I've seen the same thing with my Kimber Pro Carry and the 24lb Wolff extra power spring.

Stock spring should be 22lbs.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm almost positive the spring weight should be 20lbs for a Commander. You have to remember the Pro-Carry and the Champion are each 4.00 inches. The Commander is actually 4.25 inches. Not MUCH difference...but then it doesn't take much either

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Stock Commander (4 1/4") spring is 18 lbs.

All my Commander length guns run best with a 20 lb. spring however, regardless of load.

Since 4" barrels are illegal in Canada
, you'll have to ask Gyp_c what works and what doesn't in the smaller length guns. I'm sure he's got some GOOD stories - him and that Champion have been through a lot together.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Roy,
From your discription; it sounds like normal wear & tearof the plug. The shiney place on the "step" is where the bushing sits. The reason it's probably shiney all around is because you never reassembled the plug to the same orientation to the bushing. The wear of the checkering is also caused by the bushing and/or bushing wrench when you disassemble the pistol.

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

1 - 7 of 7 Posts