1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on the gunsmithing thread but I'll put it here in case you guys know. When I took my new 108284 down for cleaning the recoil spring was on the guide rod closed end first. The manual said to assemble it open end first on the guide rod. Did I misread this? Does it matter? Which way is right?

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
open end towards the muzzle...close end towards guide rod.
If both ends are closed....the tight end goes towards the guide rod.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah . . . mine said the same thing. Obviously a misprint. The open end should go inside the plug . . . .

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. Could the wrong position affect performance? Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
With a FLGR, it really should not matter which end goes in. On a standard, short guide rod, the tight end of the recoil spring should be towards the rear. This will prevent the spring from rotating and possibly kinking. It won't affect accuracy, but may affect reliability. I learned this the hard way as I've had my 1911s choke up me with the recoil spring not positioned properly.

Colt has minimized this issue a bit by putting a small catch on the inside face of their guide rod plugs in which the open end of the spring "hooks" onto. I noticed this with my 2005 built 1991, but all other plugs I've seen does not have this. In theory, I guess this should eliminate the kinking issue regardless of which end you position the spring.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
It especially makes a difference with a FLGR. If the loose end goes on first the tight end binds on the rod the entire recoil stroke as well as the return stoke.

But there is no reason for a FLGR whatsoever in a M1911 so this should be moot. :)

Tight end goes on the part where it doesn't slide. That's the recoil spring guide in all cases.

-- Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts