1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my recoil spring and buffer in my CQB after about 4000rds. The gun functioned flawlessly until I made the change. I had about 6 FTE's in 150 rounds with the new 10G17 recoil spring and new shok buff tonight. I also put on the new starburst grips for the first time. Did I get the wrong spring? According to Wilson's site I did not. Perhaps it's my grip on the gun with new starburst grips? The cases would either eject straight back and get stuck on top of the next round or not get pulled out of the chamber all the way with the slide remaining part way back. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm shooting a COF on Tuesday and can't have the gun not functioning reliably.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I'd try pulling out the shock buff, and see if that helps. If you wanted to keep the buff, I'd get a lighter spring. Perhaps the load you're shooting is having an effect on the recoil of the slide, and the gun is not sprung correctly for the load you're using.

Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called Matt at Wilson. He said that they went to a 17# spring about 7-8 months ago in the CQB. My gun is probably 9-10 months old so I probably had a 18.5# spring in it. He said to pull out the shok buff and it should run fine!! Just like you thought primersinmyshoe.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
It should run fine with either weight spring and the shok-buff.

Check the slide at full retraction. Should be some room to come forward and lock up. If not try another spring, yours might have too many coils.

Also, check your ammo. It sounds like your spring, but make sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seens like it should be easy enough to re-install the 18.5# spring and see if that solves your problem. Did you really still have a shock buff after 4000 rounds? Maybe a piece of it got lodged someplace during reassembly? How bout the extractor? Did you take it out for cleaning also? Maybe it's droping the case before it ejects.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seens like it should be easy enough to re-install the 18.5# spring and see if that solves your problem. Did you really still have a shock buff after 4000 rounds? Maybe a piece of it got lodged someplace during reassembly? How bout the extractor? Did you take it out for cleaning also? Maybe it's droping the case before it ejects.

The buff was indented but intact. Unfortunately I threw out the old spring. I clean around the extractor but have not taken it out yet. I'll try it without the buff but I may also pick up some 16# and 18# springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts