1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on if extra power recoil springs (say 18.5lb instead of the factory 16lb) would contribute to bullet set back during chambering? I think part of a problem I had recently will failure to feed may have been due to the bullet being set back into the case, slowing things up enough to not chamber fully. I checked when I got back and sure enough, the rounds were getting shorter. Not a warm and fuzzy thought. Going back to the factory springs seems to help...some. I am setting here looking at a new factory Speer 230fmj round that started out at a respectable 1.260" and is now at 1.205"! I'm also wondering if when the ramp gets really dirty, this adds to the problem. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,003 Posts
Heavy springs can contribute to bullet set-back. However, I don't get any set-back using a 24# spring in my Delta Elite, and a buddy of mine was getting considerable set-back using a 16# spring in his Para. I wouldn't look to the spring as a primary cause.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Get rid of the rounds...Did they fail to fire or jam or what...? Why do you have them instead of them being shot, is my question? Just running them through the pistol a few times can cause this. Always get rid of your carry rounds when you go to the range. Keep the fresh ones in a separate mag and don't use it except to check for function or something...Don't take a chance on blowin' yourself and others up by firing a compressed round that you forgot about...

Unless you were having problems with your 16, why did you change it?
...be safe...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gyp_c: I experienced several failures to feed during a tactical training session. As a rule I never re-chamber a round that fails to feed. The extra power spring was installed to help cut down on battering. All rounds fired are full power. I'm thinking now that the problem was a combination of the srping and the cheap "plated" bullets that the rounds were assembled with. These bullets are so soft that a good firm crimp is difficult to achieve. When the feed ramp got dirty maybe it "grabbed" the bullet nose a little more and the extra power spring had a little more force to set the bullet back into the case. As the bullet was set back, this helped slow down everything and caused a failure to feed. I'm going back to using "real" jacketed bullets. But I'm also gonna check out how different brands of "carry ammo" handle being chambered...just curious. Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...I see...Man...if it's not just plain rammin' into the frame or feedramp, that's A LOT OF SETBACK

Try some TW25 oil and/or some grease on your ramp...Sounds like you're gettin' an awful lot of friction...Whew!

Good Luck!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
159 Posts
You're right gyp_c. 0.055" setback from one attempted feed cycle is a heck of a lot of setback. And this from a Factory round?

I've been using a 18.5# spring for years and have never had this kind of a problem. But then I've never used anything but Winchester/USA 230gr FMJ, Federal 230gr Hydra Shok or handloads made up with Win. 230gr FMJ with a crimp just barely beyond staightening the seating bell.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cathbad: Man I hear you. That's why my alarm bells went off. I don't know what's up with this box of Speer ball ammo but they are all showing the same problem. Not just in this new Sprinfield, but also in my S&W 4506 (!). I checked out some Win 230 fmj and I get only a couple of thousands set back. It's an old box but that shouldn't have any effect on this at all. Anyway, I stuck the 18.5 lb spring back in, fixed my mag and ammo problem (I hope!) and I'm back to re-learning the joys of the 1911. Stay safe.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I missed the reference to the Speer ball ammo the first time I read the question. IIRC (AITID) there was some discussion of problems with a bunch of "Lawman" ammo about the time this website stood up. I checked the archives for a reference,,, no luck, empty archive.

Bop on over into the Ammo Can Forum and ask if anyone knows anything about the particular ammo in question,,, I'm sure Ford remembers some specifics. Good luck

------------------
Rust never sleeps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts