1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The original recoil spring has a closed end that is restricted and fits snug over the recoil guide. The other end is open and attaches into an indent in the recoil spring plug.

The new USGI replacement spring has two close ends and does not attach into the indent in the recoil spring. I thought since it was USGI the spring would work. I wanted to get a new spring since the old spring is from 1945 I assume. I would like to save the original spring.

The old spring is just about at 6in. I believe the original spring is 16lbs.

Any recommendations on what spring I should acquire to replace the original? I would prefer to go with USGI but apparently that is not going to work. The Wolf I read are good but they are not USGI issued.

·
Premium Member
15,729 Posts
Just leave it in if you're not going to shoot it. Cycling wears out springs. The only danger in leaving it in a non-shooting collectible is rust, and that shouldn't be an issue with proper maintenance and storage. I replaced the recoil spring and firing pin spring in my well-used 1918 M1911 because they were both totally used up and I wanted to fire it once to prove function. I fired five rounds - all went well and I left the good springs in it but saved the old ones, although I really don't see any reason to do so.

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
Original USGI recoil springs were actually open at both ends, not closed. If yours is closed at one end there's no need to preserve it. Also, I don't know where you got the one that's closed on both ends but it doesn't sound right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts