1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been made nervous by all this talk of replacing my recoil spring after 2K-3K rounds. I've done way more than that and it seems to be working just fine, thank you very much, but like I said I'm nervous now.

Some questions. Do we all agree that the spring needs to be replaced that often? How do I know if it's due, or do I just assume? And how do I know which spring to get? My current one has 24 (well, I counted 25 but that doesn't seem right) coils--what weight is that? The gun is a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match in stock condition, but only has the one spring. Btw, I'm assuming it's a light weight spring and that's what I want as a replacement.

Thanks very much for any advice forthcoming!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Recoil spings do need regular replacement. How often depends on how hot your loads are. For standard loads, and hardball, every 3000-4000 rds. will do. For slightly hotter loads, every 2000-3000 rds. For light target loads, you may be able to go as long as 5000 rds.

Recoil springs are cheap insurance against frame battering ($7.00 or so), so just replace them regularily instead of trying to get every last bit of use out of them.

The number of coils has little bearing on the weight of the spring. The springs are measured in pounds.

Your Gold Match probably came with a 16 lb. spring in it. If you are shooting very light loads, and your gun is getting a lot of FTE, you may want to go a bit lighter (14 lbs.) If you shoot hardball, or moderate velocity factory loads, stay with the 16 lb. or possibly move up to the 18 1/2 lb. spring.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Remember the closed end of the spring goes on the guide and the open end goes out.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I have so many recoil springs laying around that I forget their weight. How I check is by taking a caliper and measuring the thickness of one of the coils.

·
Registered
430 Posts
ISMI will warranty their recoil springs for 1 year no matter how many rounds you have fired.They recommend replacing their springs once a year.I am using one now 2000 rounds and still the same length as a new one.BILLG

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Originally posted by ArmySon:
I have so many recoil springs laying around that I forget their weight. How I check is by taking a caliper and measuring the thickness of one of the coils.
What does that tell you Son? How can you use that knowledge? Is there a formula for assessing the correct weight?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
364 Posts
IMHO, the best way to determine recoil spring wear is to measure it. Start with a new spring. Use a ruler, or for those who have one, a vernier, and measure the spring length to the closest 1/8th inch. Record that length on a piece of paper, and put it in your cleaning kit. Every time you clean your pistol, re-measure it. Once you've lost any more than 1/2 inch in length, replace the spring. One other thing to look for at cleaning is to see if the slide (recoil spring/guide rod bushing housing) is making hard contact at the extreme rearward portion of the slide cycle. You will see a wear mark forming on the slide. That is also a sign that you need a new or stronger recoil spring.

------------------
Really interesting....Don't ya think??

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I asked about the number of coils versus the weight of the spring was because the Brownell's site seems to list springs for the .45 as "28 coil" or "32 coil" rather than by weight. I count mine and I get 24 or 25. Life is never easy. But it always beats the alternative!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, gyp_c! Good site with good information and lots of springs. Still can't figure out what I've got in there now, but I know where to get a replacement of whatever it is! So many choices.

Am I right in thinking that a 14 lb was the light spring that came standard with a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by EdGCNM:
Am I right in thinking that a 14 lb was the light spring that came standard with a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match?
Sounds about right. IMHO this is too light a spring for normal factory loads or hardball. It would be fine for reduced velocity target loads.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered pairs of 12, 14 and 16.5 lb variable recoil springs, so I should have it covered. I do shoot light loads for bullseye; figure I can use the standard spring for PPC once I get into that, too.

Thanks, guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts