1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a real nice trigger job done on my S-A milspec and the smith told me I may need a heavier spring. It currently has an 18.5# Wilson Combat spring/ shok-buf combo. The brass is ejecting (Blazer 230gr. TMJ) about
15-20 feet (pretty high in the air, too). He said lightening the springs/ sear, etc. allows the slide to travel faster. So, should I go to a 20# spring? Wolff makes one, but Wilson doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, -Coop

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi coop, reducing your mainspring/hammer spring weight will increase the slide velocity. I don't see what the sear sring has to do with it, but any how, what pound hammer spring did he install? Or did he clip a few coils off the hammer spring? What pound did he set the trigger at?

------------------
Metal Smith

The only thing I know for sure is what I can measure!
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help.

He set the pull at about 3.75#

I didn't ask if it was a new hammer spring or if he clipped it.

Thanks, -Coop

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just switched out my recoil spring from #20 to #14 in a 1991a1 Commander.
There difference is phenomenal-the gun is easier to shoot,not so much recoil flip using the same practice load.
Accuracy isn't affected and reliability is still 100%.

fwiw,
MP

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by MarkP:
I just switched out my recoil spring from #20 to #14 in a 1991a1 Commander.
14#'s seems pretty light in a Commander length gun - unless you are shooting ultra-light target loads.

The shorter slide means faster cycling (and more momentum = more frame battering). IMHO, you really want to use AT least the stock weight of 18 lbs. 20 lbs. usually works even better.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi Coop, I guess the next step is to go back to your smith, man, 20 pound spring is a heavy spring, a 18 1/2 pounder shouldn't be throwing cases 20 feet unless you are shoot'n a cannon ball loads, the hammer spring plays a small factor but not 15 feet worth, can you give us a little more input?

------------------
Metal Smith

NRA Life Member

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
....never mind.....

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Metal Smith,

Don't know really what else to add. Maybe the aluminum Blazer cases are thrown further than brass cases because they're lighter? I have heard that Blazers are loaded hot (220PF)? As opposed to 190 standard?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try a 20#, would it? As long as it cycles reliably, right?

Regards, -Coop

·
Registered
340 Posts
Coop
Wolffe has a 're-cal' spring kit with 16,15,14,13,12 and 11# springs .( I think that's all of them).
try it out and see which weight gives you the best results for reliability with your load.I think you'll be surprised.
Shane -the reload is a 200 swc at ~850fps.Carry load is a CorBon 200+p.
fwiw.

[This message has been edited by MarkP (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi Coop, maybe someone else with a simular pistol can give us some input on how far aluminum cases gets chucked out of their pistol.

Does the aluminum case get thrown farther then brass with all other things being equal? Anyone?

------------------
Metal Smith

NRA Life Member

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Coop
I'd find out if he cut the spring or replaced it.If he cut it(big no-no),replace it with a 18 or 19# one.Where were they landing before?Also,is this where they land or initially hit?Actually,3.75 lbs can be had with the factory(23#)spring if you play with it,but can be easily had with a 21#er.I never paid attention,but that aluminum case is lighter than brass.That itself could be the cause.

Mark
I'm a touch lost on that one.The lighter spring should give you more muzzle flip,while the heavier one should have induced a muzzle dive on lockup.That was a big jump in weight.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by MarkP:
Shane -the reload is a 200 swc at ~850fps.Carry load is a CorBon 200+p.
fwiw.

Mark, 14 lbs. is definitely too light for your shorter slide and ammo combo. I would stick with the standard 18 lb. or go up to the 20 lb. An extra power mag spring will help a lot with reliability and that combination.

·
Registered
206 Posts
For the Government model, go with the STANDARD 16 lb. recoil spring! Most knowledgable ginsmiths will tell you that a heavier spring will cause more problems and is never the cure.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have shot a few thousand rounds of the CCI Blazer and they do feel hotter then most other 230 grain ball ammo i shoot. the best combo i have tried is a 17 pound recoil spring and a 19 pound main spring. the gun flips less and it is easier to keep visual with your front sight. i have been told that going to a recoil spring that is too heavy can damage the gun due to the too powerfull slaming of the slide/barrel lock up on the return.
BTW the 17/19 combo is what the SA FBI guns have.
just my 2 cents worth.

regards,
shay

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have a Champion with the stock set-up and it throws the cases 5-6ft with a 22lb recoil spring. When shooting my 200gr LSWC at about 900fps I use a 20lband the cases stay about 6ft from the gun. I don't know what you're shooting in that Commander but I bet it's not the stock set-up. With those loads and that 14 I'd bet it DOES throw 20ft...I say you should start from scratch and find out what the pistol does with the stock weight spring. Then re-adjust from that point. Wolfe also makes springs up to about 36lbs...You can get a FULL-POWER adjustment set that starts at 16 or 18.5 and goes up to about 28lbs for the Commander. There s definately something different installed in your pistol. I think I'd find out just for safetys' sake...Once you KNOW how scary it is, then you can make a rational decision to be crazy if you want...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I've been reading the different post on this problem and I to wonder if the main spring has been cut.
As for recoil springs I highly recommend Variable power recoil springs and in a limited class gun I use a 16.5 or 17.5 with a CP shock buff. I prefer Wolff springs I've had very good results using them.
Also is the gun timed correctly and the barrel going into full lock up?
Metalsmith to answer your question about the difference in the cases I've used CCI Blazer And Federal American Eagle in 155 gr bullet weight in a well tuned 40 cal limited class gun and they both ejected to the same place. Now both of these loads are real close in velocity so this may not be a good test if the Blazer 45 ammo is hotter than other 45 ammo being used. I to would like more imformation on this gun and its problems.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the help.

The only problem is that it throws the brass further than I would like. I measured the spring next to the factory 16# and it was .5" shorter. But, Wilson says their springs may be shorter and that length is not an issue.

I then stretched the hell out of it and now it's about 1" longer than before. I will try this.

Any word on ISMI springs? I hear they're very good as well.

Hunter Custom- Where to look at CP shok-buffs?

Regards, JP

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Coop de Ville:
But, Wilson says their springs may be shorter and that length is not an issue.

I then stretched the hell out of it and now it's about 1" longer than before. I will try this.

Wislon's is correct, length is NOT the issue. Spring rating is more a function of the number of coils or the thickness of the wire.

Stretching your spring will not do any good. In fact, you may have fatigued it further. Once you install and fire it, it will take a "set" at its designed length, regardless of how long it was to start with.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hello Coop,
As for CP Buffs I stock them in the shop if you can not find any in your aera. I'm sure there is several gunsmiths on the Forum that use them and there is a good chance they stock them. As for ISMI springs I've heard both good and bad reports on them which is not uncommon in this business. I have not used any of their springs so I can not give an honest answer on them. As I stated earlier I've had very good results using Wolff variable power recoil springs. I don't believe Wilson has variable power recoil springs and I find variable power springs work the best unless you are tuning a gun that needs a very light spring such as a 7 or 8 pound spring. Ask the smith that done the trigger job if he cut coils off the mainspring to make the trigger feel lighter, if so this is not the proper way to do things. Wolff has reduced power mainsprings and this is what should be used.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 20 of 27 Posts