1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I would like to come at it from a different angle. If any one out there has any personal knowlage of the gun smiths I speek of, let me know, as I may be talking out my 4th point of contact.
In the late 80's I got turned on to the custom 1911. The gunsmith that turned me on to this was a retierd guy who worked in Spring lake NC. He was one of the original pistol smiths for one of the units at Ft. Bragg. He could do some pretty neat stuff like make an extended thumb safety with a chow hall spoon.(saw that with my own eyes!) For a combat gun he would always recomend the "heavy recoil springs". He said the frame took less battering but more importantly, the round was getting in the chamber even under adverse conditions.(IE mud, sand)
I also understand that wilson combat type guns have 18/18.5 recoil springs for the same reason. I figured maybe I was missing somthing and E-mailed Mr. Larry Vickers. I understand he is a busy guy. I asked him what weight recoil spring for a combat gun that would be the best for reliability and durability. I'm paraphraseing, but his answer was short and to the point: 18.5 for hard ball. Understand, I AM NOT speeking for Mr. Vickers, I am just passing on what I understood his answer to be. I am not a gun smith and maybe the answers I stated may not be popular. The way I understand this is that two smiths in the same neck of the woods seem to agree on the same priciples. My point (fianally) is does any one have any personal knowlage of this? How 'bout the guys with Vickers guns? What are your thoughts? I would have directed this to Mr. Vickers himself but am sure he has his hand full.
SHAFT

·
Registered
33 Posts
This subject is almost as controversial as what lube to use. I'm far from an expert, but I'll tell what my experience has been. By the way, I'm only using "STANDARD" factory loads. I put a 12 pound spring (with shock buffs) in my springfield and it worked good until I fired between 80 and 100 rounds - then it would sometimes fail to fully seat the next round. I always shoot at least a hundred in a session. Basically, the dirtier it got - the less reliable it got. I went back to an 18 - 18 1/2 (with shock buffs) and no more problems.

I've also read where some change the spring weight to reduce recoil. I'm a fairly small person (165lbs), but I don't mind the recoil at all and have no problem returning to target quickly. In fact I kinda like the recoil - it lets you know you've got something good in your hands.

Just my thoughts
Good Shooting
Mike

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike!
I think my felt recoil actualy increased when I changed the springs. I am a small guy also and do not mind recoil for the same reasons you sighted. I also took my FLGR out. (another point of contention!)
Stay safe.
Shaft

1 - 3 of 3 Posts