1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already? I have a Kimber Pro CDP II. The guys at the local gun shop 'cough' when they hear that the manual says the recoil spring should be replaced after 800 rounds. The stock spring is 22#. I just replaced it with a 20# Wolff instead of waiting for them to order the 22# spring. The guys say that a 22# spring is a lot. Did I make a mistake? What determines spring weight and how does a weaker/stronger spring effect the gun's operation?

·
Registered
900 Posts
What determines recoil spring weight is the weight of the slide and the power of the ammunition. As a rule of thumb, I like the ejected shells to hit the ground about 6 feet away from me while standing. If I am running really lightly loaded ammunition, I may drop down to a 14 or even a 12 pound spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Kimber is an Al frame with a stainless slide. Is the heavy spring weight to protect the frame? To prevent 'limp wristing'? I seldom shoot light loads. I like to shoot IDPA so I want to stay in the required power factor for all my shooting.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Frame weight is not going to have much to do with the selection of the recoil spring, but the slide weight and ammo does.
If you are shooting IDPA and using factory strength ammunition, I would suggest you stay with a factory weighted spring. I'm not much up on the Kimber models, but they would cross over to a Colt/Springfield Armory/Dan Wesson and all the rest.

For example, in my full size 1911's, such as a government model, I use a 16 to 18 pound spring depending on how hot my reloads are. For light target loads, I use a 14 pound spring.

In my combat commander-4 1/4 inch barrel, I use a 20 pound.

My Officers model, 3.5 inch barrel carries a 22-24 pound spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. By comparison of your 1911s and their spring weight by size, your suggestion of the factory 22# spring seems appropriate (Kimber Pro CDP II is a 4" bbl.). I'll see if the 20# will get me through the 800 rounds before the next recoil spring replacement. Now's a good time to order a couple of springs. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts