1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot 230 Military Ball through my Colt Md 1911 Series 70. What recoil spring, should I use? Weight and maker.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Factory recoil spring weight for the 1911 is 16# and that weight will work well for 230 grain ball ammo. However, I like the 18.5# springs. Wolff makes great springs, that is all they make except for 7 round 1911 magazines.

I have a feeling that Wolff springs fill packages with a lot of other company's names on them.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
IMHO, the 1911 shoots better double taps with the standard spring. There are many who feel as Jim may that this risks frame battering.

Some folks have great success with a Sprinco guide rod and a 14lb. spring. Shoots great and the extra cushioning at the end of the stroke protects the frame.

------------------
"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear
you. Whatever the risk; and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- -Jeff Cooper, Nov. 1993

[This message has been edited by tonerguy (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
230 gr ball is fine, but the powder being used also comes into play. A 16# spring might be fine, but I prefer a heavier spring. Too much factory ammo is loaded normal or a little hot and the heavier spring keeps the gun from being battered. This is especially true if your gun has an aluminum frame. I use Wilson springs.

I suggest that you try some springs of different weights and find out what works best for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
hey Jim, time to play the lottery. Wolf is now making there own mags, 7 rounders.
Back to the topic..I dont know who makes the Springfield springs but I only put 1500 rounds thru my TRP and have already had to replace the spring. I was also curious..what effect will a 20# spring have on a gun's cycle? I shoot all 230 Ball and 230 Golden sabers. Would a heavier (I have 18# in now) spring last longer?

------------------
The only thing neccessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

[This message has been edited by PM 7 (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
My gunsmith runs 22# and heavier springs in his 1911s, even in the .22 conversion unit, with no problems. I don't like going that heavy but I have had good luck with the 18.5# springs.

Off topic, if Wolff's magazines work as well as their springs, I am going to switch mags.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had one of my 5" 1911s converted to 45 super by Ace Custom. It uses dual recoil springs that are like a 35# progressive. It shoots regular 230gr ball just fine (cases land about 3' away). Although I wouldn't want to use it as a carry gun, I guess the 1911 has a very large tolerance for recoil spring weight.

I was concerned about slide return frame battering with the heavy dual spring arrangement. Gary at Ace Custom told me they have a demo gun with at least 80,000 rds of 45 Super through it and it is still going strong. At least it gives me some comfort that there is a large margin of safety in the 1911 frame design.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For the new IPSC Powerfactor of 165 I use a 17lb. recoil spring for my 200gr.SWC If I shot 230gr. I would use the 18lb.-18.5lb. recoil spring. You really kill shock-buffs with a 16lb. recoil spring no matter what type of bullet you use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 16# standard is a safety threshold, but there wasnt an ideal range. Some springs work for others and some dont. Why ?

We must bear in mind that the recoil spring resists the pressure build-up and brings the slide back in place. The critical point is the balance between spring power and pressure.

Now, we dont wanna risk our lives by poking around just to gauge the powder power. A shooter may try using different spring weights and different ammo brands. Its either, stick to particular brand/type and find the right spring weight, or stick to a spring weight and find the right brand/brands.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts