1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the recoil spring topic has been discussed a lot lately, but here's another question. Can I use the same lb recoil springs in my Ultra, Compact and full size Kimbers? If not, what ones would you recommend for each size? I use 230 gr ammo in all my guns for practice but in my Ultra Carry I use 165 gr Hydra Shoks for SD only.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
398 Posts
They definitely take different weights and sizes.

You want the same feeling? It's a little Apples/Oranges I think

Factory 5" is 16#
Factory 4" is 22#

I use a lighter spring (14# ISMI) and a Shok-Buff in my 5", but left the 4" alone.

I know people that go to 11# and 12.5# in 5" guns, but mine would not feed reliably that light.

I don't know anyone (but less people shoot these too), that's changed thier 4" spring weights.

Others, I'm sure have experimented

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two More...

I forgot to add two more Kimbers... my 9mm and 40S&W, both 5". For you that have the 9mm, did changing the spring to a smaller lb fix the problem that some of you were having? Thanks again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dumb question here, but what do the number's for the springs mean? Is it a grading scale like wire guages?

·
Registered
504 Posts
"#" is the symbol for "pound" as in weight; in this case it refers to the spring's loading.

I don't know the exact formula or how it's determined by the mfrs, but it should be easy to find either on the mfrs' web sites or an online engineering reference site.

·
Registered
207 Posts
After snooping around this fourm before buying my Kimber Stainless II a couple years ago, I picked up on swapping out the standard recoil spring for an 18# spring. I have never fired it with the original spring now that I think about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts