1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recoil springs for reloads. I shoot my BHP in steel matches, and some IDPA shoots. Due to the recent shortage and backlog of jacketed bullets from my regular supplier I have been forced to move to lead bullets. The decrease in powder leads to a decrease in recoil and slide movement. It seems the only recoil spring that allows it to run efficiently is 14#. Has anyone else found this to be true, or consistent with your shooting practices?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That's going to be true with any firearm. Decrease the power of your load enough and you'll need to perform a corresponding decrease in spring weight.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured as much. It just seems like my hi-power is so much more finicky than my 9mm 1911 when it comes to matching springs with a corresponding load.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Recoil springs for reloads. I shoot my BHP in steel matches, and some IDPA shoots. Due to the recent shortage and backlog of jacketed bullets from my regular supplier I have been forced to move to lead bullets. The decrease in powder leads to a decrease in recoil and slide movement. It seems the only recoil spring that allows it to run efficiently is 14#. Has anyone else found this to be true, or consistent with your shooting practices?
When I started reloading for my BHP in 1982 I went with lead bullets for economy as did most reloaders back then. I carried factory 115 JHP as a duty round and used 125 LRN over 3.5 grains of Bullseye and never had a problem. Now I use 4.4 grains of Bullseye to launch a 115 FMJ.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts